Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Social Neigh-Work

Before the invention of the telegraph, if you wanted an urgent message delivered from New York to California you would have to do something we're not accustomed to doing these days.  You would have to wait for it to be delivered.  It would take an upwards of ten or more days for it to arrive.  A cavalry of horses were stationed across the country at relay stations.  These horses be traded off after carrying your letter, at full speed, for 10-15 miles until they reached the next relay station.  Your letter would be passed off to the next horse and rider that would gallop another 10-15 miles to the next relay station and so on and so forth and etc.  That letter would have ridden a few hundred horses just to make it to the hand of it's desired reader.  Luckily for horses and the impatient, all it takes is the push of a button or a click of a mouse to send a message faster then a blinking eye.  We have email, texting, calling, instant messaging, Twitter, Facebook...and who knows? Maybe something else was just created while I was writing this...to keep us all connected.  But, it's not just for us humans anymore.  One of our fellow blog readers turned me on to a new networking tool, not one for me but for my horse Autumn.

Horsebook.com

Facebook.com now has an app. called Horsebook.com.  Just type it in the search box and hee-haw!  You'll be corralled into the latest horsey gossip coming straight from the horses mouth!  Good-bye pony express. Hello point and click! 
The horses on the chat speak in the first person.  They will tell each other that they had a good meal of oats that day or the veterinarian came out to give them vaccinations.  They wish each other happy birthday.  They tell each other they love their owners and their boyfriend or girlfriend horses.  
They even have their own profiles. They tell you what their favorite treat, food, trick, place to visit and things to do are.  The horses have photo albums, videos and their own profile picture.  They have a list and count of all their friends.  Instead of "poking" their friends to let them know that they are thinking about them, they can "brush" them. 
I started Autumn her own page but I have to work on talking for her in the first person.  I feel a little awkward so I write everything in a  pretty abstract narrative like "Had a good ride today" or "It's hailing in the pasture".  It's the best I can do.  I've got to keep on working on it.  I don't want to embarrass Autumn.   Autumn's  Horsebook page has been up a day and I think that she already has more friends then I do on Facebook.  She certainly has gotten "brushed" more then I've ever gotten "poked" on her chat page.  That's okay, I have known for a while that she is a lot cooler then me.  I can handle it. 
If your horse would like to be Autumn's "friend" on Horsebook or you would like to be added to my mailing list, please email me at Jacksonhillhorseygirl@gmail.com . Thanks for reading!
Copyright (c) 2012 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com

6 comments:

  1. I never thought about the mail process, we have to be grateful for our horses, for the past and present. great informative story. i will look at Autumns facebook. Love Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lord one more thing to check. I'll have to enlist the help of Sweet Pea and Harley...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummmmmmmmmmm .......... I am a member of dogster.com (has a sister site joined to it... catster)... my dogs have their own pages..and profiles..... We send PupPal requests... they have forums.... is this sounding... familiar ?

    Also.. alot of good folk with good info !!!!

    If you click back to my blog... on the right hand side are my page badges....

    But... I am not on the faceless book.......

    Grinssssss

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're too funny!!! love it. Maybe I should look for a pug book lol love you, love Katy

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny I can't believe there is a horsebook page! I think I want to go back to horse express ,,,....I can't even keep up with the human page. Always love your catchy blogs. Neigh for now. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. - I LOVE to read your essays and you are very special to me, but I HATE and DESPISE FACEBOOK and do not "FRIEND" anyone. Ask Andrea. xoxoxoxansmom

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.