Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Piles of Zen

I was having a cup a tea with my friend Laura when she asked me what my ultimate dream job would be?  I thought about it for a minute and I told her that I wanted to be a published writer.  I don't think that I really convinced either of us with that answer.  Deep down the dark truth of what that job would be started to bubble into the light.  I love scooping poop. That is, I love mucking out horse stalls. Give me a dirty, crappy barn and I'll have it scooped, raked, swept up and put back together in no time.  I turn on my news radio program, grab my pitch fork and scoop away my cares. 
There is nothing that I love more then walking down a swept aisle way of a barn past freshly bedded stalls, with dinner feed set up in the corner, water buckets sparkling full and clean enough for me to drink from. Soul cleansing at it's finest.  So what if the horse comes in and swirls their hay around, pee all over it and top it off with a giant dump?   It just means I have more work for the next day. 
BEFORE
I get in that dirty stall and I feel like I'm in a giant trashed Zen garden.  In a meditative daze, I get to restore it back into harmony and peace with nature.

AFTER
 No ringing phones, no panicked questions, no people needing me, no watching the clock tick backwards waiting for the end of the day.  All I have to do is work until it all looks perfect and the horses are all tucked back in their stalls happily eating and crapping. 
Om...
I've got wheelbarrows of it.
For now, I have a few meditative Zen gardens to clean at the ranch but not enough to pay the bills. 

So for now, I won't quite my day job. As for the day job...we have now installed a Zen garden by the phone incase we need some emergency enlightenment.
Serenity now!  SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!

Thanks for reading!  I'm looking for any ideas on how to get my blog out to more readers.  If you have any ideas please let me know by emailing me at Jacksonhillhorseygirl@gmail.com

Copyright (c) 2012 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com




15 comments:

  1. Horseygirl- I so totally agree! I was a "stall mucker" for 6 years during Junior High and High School, and that job kept me in shape physically, mentally, and spiritually. I love the feel of getting that stall all clean, with fresh chips, knowing the horses will be able to relax in a cozy, pine-fresh bed. I loved the feel of my muscles straining as I lugged 160 pounds of wet manure out to the pile, and feeling my legs and arms getting stronger and stronger. And, sick as some may find me, I even liked the smell of barns and horses. Yes, there are many things I could do, but if I could actually pay the bills scoopin' out stalls for 6-8 hours a day, I would be perfectly content!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often say that the best tools to exercise your abs are a pitchfork, shovel, and a wheelbarrow. Certainly gives you time to contemplate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shaelawn wrote: "I'm with you 100%!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. A true cowgirl Margaret!! I on the other hand wouldn't mind working in a pug daycare lol. Nice blog this week, I definitely enjoyed it!! Namaste :-) love, Katy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can agree totally.... and also the garden... anything that means you can make it 'just so".. yes.... its perfect

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Y'all are sick; sick I tell you! Cat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when Margaret was growing up in Bay Port, NY, her room was always straightened. The bed was made, an animal menagerie sat comfortably in the front of her pillow. Her desk was orderly, a calendar with horse images tacked to the wall. Books arranged by subject lined the bookshelf.
    When ever I came to visit I was treated to the neatest stall in the house. However, I think my young niece was a reluctant little filly when backing out of her tidy space, as if saying, "I love you, but, maybe tomorrow you could sleep at grandma and Papa's house."




    Margaret: perhaps you should have a Personal website offering something for sale. For example, t-shirts with the image of a customers horse, or a diary with the customers, horse picture and name on the cover. Or perhaps you want to offer horse training advise? Then your customers can follow your blog, linked from your web page. (remember your cousin is a web designer)

    Also you could ask Rachel to make you a post card about your blog and you could send them to riding schools, vets, etc throughout the state. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome!! Great pictures too. We should make mini zen stalls for horsey-girls, with piles of poo instead of rocks. As for the one by the office phone... I think the rake is going to need a sturdier handle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures. I am glad you found your zen. I can see how rewarding cleaning a stall could be and a work out. You describe it so well. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good line, "clock ticking backwards." What is your radio program? Diane likes to clean the stall too, I hate it. I like it clean but absolute hate doing it. I like grooming Dresden. It makes me want to get up the next day because if he looks good, I feel like riding and all goes well alllllllllllllllllllllllllllll day long.
    ~SE

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Margaret
    I am now able to read your blogs and really enjoy them.Keep sending.
    Love to you both. Gpa Bob

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another great essay! There is something very comforting, relaxing, etc. about having your "nest" clean and uncluttered! Autumn is "your baby" and you want his home, and the homes of all the other horses that you love to be picked up and ready for the next activity!

    xo Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andrea wrote: "I love it too...without the extra 25 lbs I have to date :)"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah yes Grasshopper, but it is truly the piles of Zen in your garden that give you the fodder for your pen. You are on the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  15. To reduce the risk of piles, consider using Unani medicine and lifestyle changes. The combination of ghee and lukewarm milk will help your body flush the toxins and eliminate the pain associated with piles. You can also use Unani medicines and home remedies for piles. A simple change in diet can help you overcome your piles. By eating a lot of ghee, you can reduce the risk of developing gout.
    PILES

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.