Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Masterpiece

     Life has felt a bit heavy the past few weeks.  Autumn's diagnosis has been slowly crushing  the positive thoughts right out of me.  Everyday issues have been swarming incessantly through my head stalking me into sleep at night.  Mornings have found me unrested under the cloak of darkness that fall has spread across the land.
     The night sky with its exhausted stars met me as I left the house in the morning.  I turned the lights on in the barn and woke up the sleepy blinky eyed horses.  I tossed them some hay to keep them quiet as I set up their pens for the day that would eventually come.  I grumbled around connecting and dragging hoses to the empty water troughs in the pens that I had to scrub out and fill with a flash light clenched in between my teeth.  As they filled I bitched my way back and forth to the barn setting out hay and dragging the hose to the next trough.  I didn't waste anytime stargazing as I rushed to get everything done before I had to get to my real job eight o'clock. 
     I arrived at the last water trough that was two minutes from being full.  Great! Two minutes wasted when I could've haltered up a horse and walked them out here in time to turn off the hose.  My mind bitching suddenly got interrupted by the hooting owl in the fir tree behind me.  The rhythm of his song soared through me. It took possession of my breathing, familiarizing it with the cadence of his lullaby.  A calm settled over me and I opened my eyes to what was in front of me.  A crooked crescent moon smiled as it rose to start its day beside me.

     The darkness began to fade as the sunrise shook out it's first morning light.

   Drowsy plum and magenta clouds enveloped the vanishing crescent moon in its light. 

 As I watched the sky paint itself in front of me a shooting star flamed across the sky. 

Then, I finally got it. 
This is life.  This is what the world does.  It's not all about work.  It's not life testing your patience.  It's not about bills or shopping or not having.  The sun wakes up everyday.  The wind blows.  The rain falls.  The waves break.  The rivers flow.  Night falls. That's all that really happens.  The rest is created.  Drama in my life is what I let it be.  I dropped the hose and got Autumn out of her stall. Together we painted ourselves into masterpiece happening around us in simple happiness.

Thanks for reading!  If you would like to leave a comment or would like to be added to my mailing list, please contact me at Jacksonhillhorseygirl@aol.com.   Please feel free to pass this on to your friends.

Copyright (c) 2012 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com October 3, 2012

15 comments:

  1. It took me a heart attack to ask myself "Will all the cwap of today REALLY matter in the morning ??" and find the answer

    "NO"

    Dont walk that road Mags... dont have the self doubt that isnt needed... dont waste breath on the could have's and should haves.

    You are allowed to bitch... you are allowed to have a pity party.. you are NOT allowed to dwell.

    The owls are my friends... let them be yours.. and turn and paint the sky with your dreams as it paints YOU with is hope.

    Love
    Pam X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful... thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why you live in northern California.
    Life is in these special moments. Mine came today when grandma ate her first piece of sushi with a fork. and at 95 years old, she still delights in new adventures. And the other night she asked to go outside so she could see the moon. There it was brightening up the ground we stood on and grandma said to the moon, "Maybe I'll see you later if you come visit at my bedroom window." Nature really does have a positive affect on the human spirit if we take a moment to notice. And for you my wise and beautiful niece, you are surrounded by natures beauty and you always take notice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very beautiful. It is nice to focus on the big spectrum sometimes. You live in an amazing location! Dreams are not always fluffy, but clarity can sometimes be hard to reach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margaret, I look forward to every one of your writings and you always paint a beautiful and colorful picture with words. Not just a picture, but beyond that with a vision of life's self worth. It's real and true.You are in a place where you belong and I'm sure if you could have met John Muir, you two could express nature together without words. I remember a quote from Charles Lindbergh saying, “In wilderness I sense the miracle of life, and behind it our scientific accomplishments fade to trivia.”
...Keep writing, keep expressing and keep being the beautiful person you are from within... Roger G.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the beautiful reminder that life is always a gift and we can choose how we feel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it, Margaret! I've had several of those "aha" moments and I always try to keep them in mind. Hard in the hustle and bustle of life when our troubles weigh us down. We are so lucky to live in such a beautiful area that reminds us to keep life in perspective.
    Dawn F

    ReplyDelete
  8. Margaret, thank you for painting such a beautiful picture. You really have an incredible way with words.
    I felt like I was there.
    There is something about twilight(not bella, jacob-abs twilight, but morning twilight), our senses being heightened from less ambient noise while most creatures still "sleepy blinky eyed" and you still half-way in dream land, the slightest noise can trigger the deepest emotional thoughts and feelings.
    I'm glad the little hooter was able turn your morning around and give you a reminder, so you could pass it on.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully written! A reminder of statying in the moment you never know what or whoooo you are going to miss by staying all wrap up in your head. Always enjoy! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrea T. wrote:
    Exactly...the few sleepless nights I've had while grumbling around the house have ended with a beautiful sunrise...and a smiling baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rosemary B.
    Thanks Margaret. That was splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Roseann wrote: "Margaret what is up with Autumm?
    What diagnosis do you have for her?
    Did not read anything about it. So sorry if it is a tough one.
    Roseann"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clara J. wrote:
    nice one Margaret- i too realized at some point that one of the main reasons i love horses is the way they tie me to the land and its rhythms.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully writing, beautiful pictures, beautiful revelations....thank you. Cindy L.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Margaret,
    That was a beautiful blog; the words, feelings and pictures. Thank you for making my day.
    I hope the treatment is working and you are feeling better these days.

    LUJ

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.