Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Imperfection

     I skipped my lunch so I could leave work an hour early and head to the beach with Cindy and the horses.  It was a little cloudy when I left the office but still nice enough.  At the ranch I headed to the pasture to catch Autumn as a fog began to slither over the mountains.  By the time we got back to the barn the fog had suffocated any sight beyond six feet, dripping out doubt of whether or not our trip to the beach would happen.  No news was good enough to send Autumn and myself muddling our way to Cindy's house down the road.  Sure enough, there she was with the back of the trailer open with her horse Syria waiting inside for Autumn to join her.  Cindy and I just shrugged a "we'll see" look at each other and headed to the sea.
     The windshield wipers squeaked out a hint that this may be an abrupt, wet, walk on the beach.  When we pulled into the parking lot the fog lifted.  The fog stopped at the edge of the parking lot, not daring to cross over the sand.  We unloaded the girls and walked along the water's edge as shy blue colors peaked at us through the clouds.  Autumn insisted on walking in water deeper then my boots would cover, so I threw her lead rope over her back and let her follow her own song. 
 


     She flowed in and out of the water stopping once and a while to look back at me when she got out to where the waves were breaking.  She came out of the water towards me with a twinkle in her eyes. She splashed her mane into the wind and took off cantering and kicking down the beach.  Eventually she stopped and I eventually caught up to her. 

What took you so long?

       Looking quite pleased Autumn decided to walk with me over the reflected sky in the wash of the sea.  I became lost in the pleasure of not thinking when after a bit I noticed that I was walking alone again.  Behind me Autumn had stopped.  I called to her and she looked down and back up to me.  When I made it up to her she lowered her muzzle to the sand to a crushed up sand dollar.  I gave Autumn's halter a tug to get her moving again but she wouldn't budge. 

    Once again she pointed at the broken little thing on the ground and gave me one of those Autumn looks.
  I bent down and picked it up.  Sure it wasn't perfect but Autumn had chosen this little gift for me.  Standing there, on that gray day streaked with bewildering glimpses of blue above, as my merry injured horse splashed around in the sea and brought me a gift of a little broken sand dollar I saw the beauty and perfection in imperfection. 

Thanks for reading!  If you would like to be added to my blog posting notification emails or you would like to leave a comment, please email Jacksonhillhorseygirl@aol.com .  Please feel free to send my blog on to your friends. 
Copyright (c) Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com October 17, 2012

19 comments:

  1. Margaret you are an amazing person and Autumn is so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...you did it again, Margaret! I have tears in my eyes and I just fell in love with you and Autumn all over again!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too...

    ...tears streaming down my face... BUT.. tears of wonder and joy. Autumn is an old soul... she has so much to teach... and you are her Mission. Just as we are the Missions of all our animals.. we have so much to learn.

    The 1st photo is breathtaking too. And the sand dollar.. you LUCKY LUCKY Lady.

    Still tears.........

    Hugsss

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margatet, Autumn is so lucky to have you and you are so lucky to have Autumn. There's nothing more perfect in God's eyes than a beautiful relationship between a human and her pet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been missing your emails. Love your stories and Autumn. I have an Autumn,too, that rocks my world. My Autumn is a 20-year-old Chihuahua rescue that has made my world a much better one for over 9 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a precious gift, there is a unspoken connection between the two of you. What a great way to spend an afternoon! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natalie H. wrote
    beautiful thoughts, as always...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sonia H. Wrote:
    So beautifully told and I love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete

  9. Fauna Bay wrote:
    That is very lovely. Have you heard of the National Novel Writing Month in november? I have just joined & it looks like a neat group of motivation for upcoming writers. Not sure if you have time or a long term project in mind, but it's a neat thing anyway. http://www.nanowrimo.org/about/hownanoworks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura Childs
    Such a beautiful story, you are so so sensitive and aware of your
    surroundings, you are gifted with living in the moment!! Love laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great essay. I love the way that you write. I know exactly where you were in the thoses photos - I have such grand memories myself of fog, beach, horses and friends being together. I especially love it when you use photos to enhance your musings, I guess that is because that is how I " journal"... words are not enough for me and they are too limiting for me, photos (for me) bring everything together!

    Keep up the good work - I love to read them! xo Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome, as usual. Your photos are always great, but the black and white photo was spectacular.
    Lisa H.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Margaret, one of your best stories! .Love, Dad H.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please make sure I am on your email list. Adore your emails and Autumn. You have a great life. I crack up everytime I remember bits and pieces from previous emails.
    L.C.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love reading your stories :)
    Hugs to Autumn
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for the blessings of your stories.
    Chuck Powell

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was a wonderful story...
    Marianne L.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved your blog on the sand dollar gift from Autumn, so sweet!
    Love Aunt Kathleen

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.