Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Forgiveness Is Divine

     With another horse show on it's way in mid August, Autumn and I are back in the arena practicing.  At this upcoming show I plan on entering Autumn in some cantering classes on purpose (Get the last horse show scoop at Bucket List).  Early before work, we have been trying to perfect picking up the canter on cue and staying in it without me having to squeeze her all the way around the arena.  Granted, the workout I get while trying to keep Autumn cantering might make it possible for me to pulverize Suzanne Somers' thigh master into unrecognizable pieces   The problem is, it is just not a motivating exercise to get me out of bed at five in the morning. 

Not interested!
   To help with our training, I studied up on the latest training techniques and philosophies gleaned from books and videos.  Catchy phrases like "Be black and white", "Get the job done" "If they do it wrong that means that you have taught them to know it wrong"... If I was going to do this I needed to be clear in what I was asking her to do.  I needed it to be perfect even though I've never done it before.  I needed her to get it right away to make her learn it right.  The normal excitement I usually felt before riding Autumn was being invaded by a dreary shadow of anxiety. I even got something called an English Spanker to tie to my English saddle.  It is used to give the horse a little spank to motivate them to go or to keep on going if needed. 
   On one particular morning, as fog smothered the arena, we began our warm up.  We trotted and practiced jumping over some small fences.  I would have been happy to end on just that, but I knew I had to practice picking up the canter.  The thing that bothers me most about cantering in our arena is that it is small with short turns and Autumn is big and long.  I know it's hard for her to balance through the turns while she is gaining her confidence at that speed. 
    I took a deep breath, thought about the rhythm of the canter...1...2...3...1...2...3...,gave her a squeeze and she picked it up with ease.  I asked her for only one lap and let her slip back to a trot.  Then I asked her to repeat it again in the other direction and she did it just as well as the first try.  Of course, I wanted to end on that and so did she but I knew we should do it a few more times for practice. 
    Again, I took a deep breath.  Again I counted out the rhythm of the canter...1...2...3...1...2...3..., gave her a squeeze but this time she just increased the speed of her trot. While my brain was being shaken and not stirred "Get the job done! Be black and white!" chimed in.  I picked up that English spanker and gave her a few slaps.  Her trot went into warp speed but still no canter.  I gave her a few more slaps and she hit A.D.D-hyper-psycho-trot-on-crack speed. The job still wasn't getting done. I gave her a kick, drove my seat into her and felt my patience abandon ship.   After one more "Get the job done!" spank, she threw up her head.  I slowed her back down to a walk.  My face was burning with anger.  Not with her but with me.  I knew that she couldn't figure out how to pick up a canter at that speed.  I knew I should have slowed her down and tried again.  And I ignored it.  I ignored what Autumn was telling me.  She was trying to figure it out but was just physically unable to do it.  What a huge jerk I was! I was more worried about getting the job done so I could pick up the canter in the show ring that I became mommy dearest.  
   Autumn's eyes sank into dark pools of sadness and confusion.  She tried her hardest and she got spanked.  I had to do something to make her feel better quick!  So, I asked her to hop over her favorite little jump.  When she landed I gave her big pets, hugs and  kisses and jumped off and gave her a cookie.  I apologized to her and promised that I would listen to her always when she was trying her hardest.  She perked up and happiness sparkled back in her eyes. 
     She didn't bring up the "black and white" lesson from hell on our walk to the pasture that day. She wasn't mean to me. She just let it go. As disappointed and shameful as I felt about that ride that day, I think that if I could erase it right now I wouldn't.  Autumn taught me some very important things from that ride...I need to listen to her and know when she's trying her hardest.   I need to use my heart and my mind to train her, not my goals, not slogans, not my anxieties.  I need to let her forgiveness give me the chance to never to treat her that way again. 
My great friend and teacher.

Thanks for reading!  If you would like to leave a comment (a lot of folks are having trouble posting comments on this blog...I can post them for you) or if you would like to be added to my mailing list please contact me at jacksonhillhorseygirl@aol.com .

Copyright (c) 2012 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com July 11, 2012

14 comments:

  1. Great story, don't be too hard on yourself! She learned today that if she goes faster you will stop using the new spanking implement. She also learned that you will use it, because you did. Now I bet if you prepare well, and just barely tap her with it, you will still get some nice forward that you can reward her for. Nice job, you are doing great! For now, even if you only get more forward in the trot, she is still a good girl =) Those transitions will come with time.

    What is the worst that can happen? So maybe you end up trotting faster instead of cantering at the show, that doesn't sound so bad. You still get to go home with the horse that you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I was standing on a high spot next to the trail trying to get Harley to side pass over to me so I could climb aboard. I kept tapping his rear, pulling his head over, using too many words- the poor horse didn't know what I wanted. Finally he just climbed up there with me! We both had a good laugh. Horses have such capacity for forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We hoomanz dont do the "learning " thing well. The animals just have to be very patient with us!! All will be well.

    Hugs
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. great story, margaret! i love the words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my exact experience with Tiny, especially the warp speed trot! Thanks for sharing! I started taking her out to the field near her pasture to practice our transitions. She seems to enjoy being outside on a track more than in an arena and has a much easier time with it than trying to make the corners in the arena. We're up to 4-8 strides per canter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heart and mind to train - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can try to stand her up in the outside shoulder first before the transition, through lateral exercises such as renvers, travers, & leg yields. It is much easier to pick up a canter coming out of a lateral movement or a spiraling our circle, because you have aligned the shoulders & haunches. If our timing ever coincides, I'd be more than happy to help anytime. =] Johnny & Autumn have been hanging out lately, they'd make a super cute team, or pas de deux.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All your efforts will pay off, Margaret. Who needs all those slogans anyway, it's just you and Autumn, you guys will figure it out. I've seen what you guys can do already and you're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrea wrote: "Dude, this is exactly how I feel about willy and his bad lead. We had one arena ride together that was very much like the story you tell here. Thanks for writing this!!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love reading about Autumn and your adventures. Have you tried cantering outside the ring, on the flat with no turns? Just short little canters? I haven't trained a horse in a long time, but it might be easier to teach her the gait if she doesn't have to worry about turning. And you won't have to worry about leads.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great blog, awesome pics!!!Katy

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, so true Margaret. Thanks for sharing. We all go there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perhaps you would benefit from cantering on the beach with a buddy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great story Margaret love you so very much John-Christian

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.