Sunday, January 8, 2012

Someday...

The boat sinks and in the chaotic struggle to stay alive in the water a young boy grabs hold of a rope attached to a horse that is swimming past him.  The horse tows him to a deserted island where overtime they form a bond and the horse allows him to ride with nothing more then their love and friendship guiding each other.  That was the opening to the Black Stallion book series.  That is exactly when I knew that someday I would like to have that same relationship with my dream horse.  I would ride my horse free of saddles, bits and reins.  Our friendship and love would carry us on our adventures. 
Years passed, practicalities set in from life's lessons learned and I sort of forgot about that childhood fantasy until one day when this YouTube video got sent to my email.

Stacy Westfall riding Wizard's Baby Doll bridle-less and bareback.  Get some tissues.

If you just watched the above video and you're like me every time I watch it, you're choked up.  This video brought back my Black Stallion dreams. This video is proof of what can be done.   I decided that it was time to get my head out of the clouds and to climb up on  my black stallion...well...my chestnut Belgian draft filly that is.  I started teaching Autumn verbal cues which matched with rein and leg cues with her bridle & saddle on.  I've been doing this inconsistently for a while now and not really thinking we've made much progress.  Work clogs my week and when the weekend hits the thought of training in the arena sends me out lallygagging on the beach or trails.  So I've been slacking a bit on my dream to reality making. 
The other morning, I got Autumn from the pasture, gave her breakfast and decided to just sort of play with her loose in the arena.  She followed me around little obstacles, trotted after me and when I climbed to the highest step of the mounting block she cozyed herself right against it.  How could I say no?  I slid on to my fuzzy, chestnut colored best friend who was free of ropes, halters, saddles...everything but me. We sat still for a bit and then I gave her a squeeze.  She walked a few strides and I asked her to stop by sitting deep and exhaling.  The smart girl that she is came to a stop.  We did that a few times and she nailed it each time.  She was heading to the gate and I thought this is going to be the true test.  Will she turn away from the barn?  I turned my body, used my legs to guide her and she did it!  She knew what I was asking her and she did it!!!!!  Wow! We practiced a few more turns and circles and she did them all.  It wasn't pretty and we almost walked into the hillside bank but we did it.  It was a glimmer in to a realm of making my dream come to life. 

Someday....This...


Plus this... 

with practice...
will hopefully equal this.
Someday this will be Autumn & I except it will be her and I won't be an adolescent boy.

That short ride has ignited the fire in me to work harder at this.  Maybe someday I'll have a video to post of us that isn't totally embarrassing and doesn't have an ambulance driving away as it's closing scene.  Our boat full of doubtfulness has sunk and I'm holding on to the rope of my chestnut filly carrying me into my dreams.
Thanks for reading!  If you would like to be added to my mailing list, please email me at Jacksonhillhorseygirl@gmail.com
Copyright (c) 2012 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com

18 comments:

  1. Great story, loved it!! Most of all I love your passion of horses, I can feel your energy!! Love Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! very impressive Mags!!! See, you can do it! And on the days when you feel like you can't, come on over and you can have your own black stallion... for an hour to two. ;-) Very inspiring... I LIKE! Z.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome dream!! I think you and Autumn can do it :) You're definitely brave enough. . . I haven't even tried getting on Freya bareback -- got a LONG time to go (or many margaritas - ha ha ha) before that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when I was a girl, my grandparents took me to a show in Madison Square Garden in New York City where all of the girls rode bareback with only a light rope around the horses neck to guide them (no bits or bridles). I've wanted to ride like that ever since; but this is the first time I've seen or heard of anyone else doing it. Thank you for reinspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your dream Margaret. I'm sure knowing you and how dedicated you are to what you want to accomplish, the dream will become a reality.
    Aunt Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful! I have shared this on my Facebook. :o) I followed the video to YouTube and also watched the ones from the Ellen show. I also read horse books as a girl, but sadly have never had them in my life, so you are to be envied whether you ride them bareback or any way at all! I always enjoy your blog posts SO much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! And Stacey Westfall is an amazing example of what anyone dreams to have with thei horse! She is a great rider.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh !!

    Hang on and make those dreams come true Lady ! Watching that video.. the sheer fluid motion and total understanding...

    YOU can do it.. you CAN.... I have ridden bareback.. yep.. wasnt pretty... but no didnt end up in an ambulance either... and it had a wonderment and thrill factor of several zillion.

    Reality isnt always pretty.. but heck... its one WWOOO HOOO of a feeling.... Go for it Lady.. You.. You and Autumn CAN........

    Hugsss..... Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy your blogs very much and are very entertained by your writing style and stories!! Love the reference to the Black Stallion stories. A mainstay of my childhood for sure! The video you posted is indeed heartwarming. You can do it, I know it!!
    Diana LaCount (from HERO)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am SO inspired by you and your relationship with Autumn! Keep sharing....PLEASE!!! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should have listened to you when you said to get the tissues. I even had Captain upset!!! What a wonderful video and I have no doubts that you and Autumn are just as talented. Mom S.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As always, I love your essays! Andrea's cousin, Danielle Teitelman (she lives in SF) competed in vaulting when she was younger and I've seen video and stills of her doing unbelievable things bareback! The photo of you posing on the ground reminded me of her on her horse in the competition ring. With your determination, I KNOW that one day you will be sending me a video of YOU - no doubt about it!

    All the best for 2012 - I'll see you in the springtime.

    xoxo Ansmom

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you have Stacey's video of how to slowly progress to brideless riding? It isn't rocket science, and with time and patience it can be done! A great interim is to teach her to neck rein and trail ride with a leather strap for a while before taking the final plunge! Go do it, I'm excited for you!
    -Christine GGDHR

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where are the tissues!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's Awesome Margaret! Stay inspired! You do such a good job finding time for these things with your busy schedule. It must be exciting to have such a major break through like this one. Keep it up! I can't wait to see you flying around in circles standing on Autumns back... With a helmet on of course.
    Thanks for the great story.
    Love, Casey

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! It gave me goosebumps and made me smile. So much love for Autumn emminates from your writing. I look forward to the day that I see you out at the beach, riding Autumn bare back! Thanks for sharing! ~Skaidra

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's incredible that you were able to ride Autumn like that. You can achieve anything you want to because you always put your heart and soul into it. Proud of you. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Margaret I have no don't in my mind that all of your dreams will come true!!! You and autumn have a truly unique and loving bond!!! You're going make black stallion look like childsplay:-). Love Katy

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.