Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Seabird to Comfort

My husband, Casey and I got home around noon on Sunday after spending Thanksgiving with his family in Napa.  After unpacking the car I was off to go find Autumn.  I wasn't long after I had Autumn in her stall that Cindy wandered up to the barn with Syria, Autumn's best friend horse.  "Do you want to go to the beach?".  Forty five minutes later we were on their backs riding next to the surf.  The wind was still, the waves clapped and the sky was washed in a water color of quiet clouds. 
We strolled along in a peaceful daze until something caught our eyes.  Autumn and I noticed a little tiny form not to far away.  We walked closer to inspect and there before us was some type of seabird.  He was black and duck shaped, with a long point tipped bill, with a white belly and blue feet.  He looked up at us and of course, I started to worry out a plan for him.  Autumn stretched out her neck and sniffed to him while Syria had a "I'm not getting close to that thing!" look on her face.  Cindy and I decided that we would ride a bit more and if he was still there on our way back that we would take him home. 
Well, the rest of the ride for me was making a game plan for the little guy.  I could get off Autumn, carry him back to the parking lot, put him in a bucket for the ride home, tuck Autumn in her stall, bring him home, feed him canned tuna, put him in a dog crate with hay...wait...wait...no. A towel.  Would I need a heating lamp?  How would I feed him with that pointy bill?  What time in the morning does that wildlife rescue center open anyway?  With all that chitter chatter in my head I didn't realize that we were already standing back over him.  I got off Autumn and walked up to the little guy unsure what to do.  I looked at Autumn and she was giving me the same eye contact that she gives me when she wants a cookie except she followed it up by looking at the little seabird then back to me.  She repeated this a few times before I got the message.  I bent down and scooped up the little guy without any fight.  He was very weak but not too weak to have diarrhea all over my coat that I wrapped him in (no good deed goes unpunished as my good friend Karen likes to say). 
As we headed back to the trailer Autumn could not keep her eyes off of him.  She would sniff him gently on one side of me and then she would cross behind me and then sniff him gently on the other side.  She did this for our entire 30 minute walk back to the trailer. 

Autumn comforting the weak little seabird.
 By the time we made it back to the trailer the poor little seabird seemed close to flying up to heaven.  I decided that maybe it would be more peaceful for him to be by his home for the last part of his journey instead of my dog crate.   I found a little spot close to the dunes and promised that I would check on him on my work break the next day.  We all wished him well and hoped for the best. 
The next day on my lunch break I drove to the beach and scrambled as fast as I could through the sand to the spot where I had left him.  I found him there but he was gone.  I felt bad that maybe I should have taken him home and tried harder but the whispering wind and the song of the sea's waves somehow made me feel that it was better for him to be where he was laid. 

Thanks for reading!  If you would like to be added to my mailing list, please email me at jacksonhillhorseygirl@gmail.com.
Copyright (c) 2011 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com

9 comments:

  1. Ah... so sad my friend... but it sounds like he truly had a "good death." Chances are you could not have saved him at that point, and I think following your instincts to let him be in such a peaceful spot, as opposed to unfamiliar surroundings was probably a good thing. And who knows, maybe the comfort given through you and Autumn, gave him the peace he needed to leave. God bless you for caring so deeply for the smallest of creatures. Z.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Margaret, that could have been me!! I always wrestle with what to do when I see a sick bird at the beach. Do I leave it to die a natural death? Is it sick because of human causes? Will I stress it even more trying to catch it? Thoughts of "I wish I hadnt seen this poor thing because I don't know what to do" guiltily race through my brain.

    I think you made the right decision about leaving him to die in his environment. It's such a tough call! And I love the tender picture of Nurse Autumn checking on him over and over. I adore her more each time I read about her!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was such a emotional story, the love of nature, and the forces of it too. I love to read about your relationship with autumn, and other animals. You teach us all. Love laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birds are really really tricky. They have very high stress reactions and you did all and more. Its highly unlikely anything could have saved him.

    He died in his own surroundings... and safe.

    Hugssss

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Animals bring out such deep compassion in so many people and teach us so much about who we are. That little bird had a good end, and your telling of how his story and yours intersected is a lesson for all of us. thanks, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MARGARET,
    WHAT A GREAT GIFT YOU GAVE THAT LITTLE BIRD. JUST TO KNOW SOMEONE CARED. I PROBABLE WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME THING. THATS WHAT THANKSGIVING IS ALL ABOUT. TAKING CARE OF THOSE WHO NEED IT THE MOST AND THAT INCLUDES ANIMALS TOO! LOVE YOU THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT WITH THE NEW PUPPY SNUGGLE BEAR! LUV AUNT CHRISTINE

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww I'm so glad you and Autumn were there to bring peace, comfort & love to that bird!!!love, Katy

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a big heart, Margaret. I think you made the right choice just leaving it there. The poor little guy was probably better off spending it's last moments on the beach.
    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such compassion and intuition for animals (human kind too) Karen

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.