Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Saddling Up with Poncho for St. Jude

Autumn and I would like to thank all of you that sponsored us in the Saddle Up For St. Jude Children's Hospital fundraiser ride.  We raised $560.00 for a great cause!  You guys are awesome! 
Autumn and I riding for St. Jude Children's Hospital.

 I was a little nervous that I wasn't going to be able to get Autumn to the St. Jude ride because my trusty traveling and trailering companion, Cindy,  was away on a trip.  About a year ago, my great friend Diane had bought a new extra high extra wide trailer just to fit Autumn in with her horse Poncho.  Like I said she's had the trailer over a year and I never once dared put Autumn in there with Poncho. Why would I not put Autumn in a trailer that my totally awesome friend bought just so we could go off and have a great time together with our horses???  Fear that's why!  Autumn hates Poncho.  When she was little...okay the size of a normal horse....Poncho used to rough house with her pretty hard and when she got bigger it was pay back time.  Every time she sees Poncho she pins her ears, gives him the death look and goes after him.  I couldn't imagine locking them in a crammed box together side by side.  I had visions of Autumn kicking his legs clean off or driving down the road and seeing Poncho getting kicked straight through the wall of the trailer and bouncing down the road.  With the St. Jude ride being such an important event and with Diane's reassurance we gave it a try (not without me making her promise that if Autumn hurt Poncho that I was going to pay all of his vet bills).  Diane bravely put Poncho in the first half of the trailer and shut the divider.  I lured Autumn in with a flake of alfalfa hay.  As soon as she got in there and saw who was tucked next to her the bitch ass glare from hell flamed across her face. Oh crap!  I was getting ready for her to rip the divider out with her teeth and chuck it out the door and beat the life out of poor Poncho when she noticed her alfalfa hay and she started eating.  That was it.   No blood.  No bone crushing.  No high speed trip to the horsey E.R.    Diane and I were totally jazzed that now we could hit the open road with our tolerant equines partners.

On the road with Diane & Poncho
Saturday rolled around and Diane trailered us up to Orick, which is the home of the tallest tree in the world, a redwood measuring  379 feet!  The day was beautiful and the crowd of people were friendly.  Diane and I decided to ride off towards the beach with six other gals.
The Beach Babes gathering at the water hole.
We followed and crossed Redwood Creek.  We passed under highway 101 back up on to the levy and through green pastures dotted with grazing cattle.  Autumn didn't quite know what to think of the cows. 
What the hell is a cow and what does "Moo" mean?
She was coiling up beneath me getting ready to floor it out of town but Poncho stepped up before her keeping his cool.  Like a gallant knight he lead her safely past these mooing, projectile pooping oddities.  After that big event, Autumn and I calmly strolled along, marveling that we were encircled by mountains covered in the biggest redwoods in the world, flanked by green pastures,  a twinkling river, the Pacific ocean before us and great friends surrounding us all helping the same great cause.

On a side note... On October 28th Autumn turned 5 years old.  My little Filly is growing up!  Where does the time go?   Happy Birthday Autumn! 
Autumn enjoying her birthday mush cake thing I made her.
Thanks for reading!  If you would like to be added to my mailing list please email me at Jacksonhillhorseygirl@gmail.com.  I look forward to hearing your comments!
Copyright (c) 2011 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com

7 comments:

  1. Margaret - You make everything come alive with your writing. Thank you. Cindy L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Great photos this week! Looked like a fabulous ride."
    Elizabeth T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really fun blog. I loved, loved, loved the pictures. You are an inspiration to me.
    S.E.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful cause.. and wishing I had been there !

    Beautiful scenary !

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful day and such a great cause. I am glad Autumn decided to eat the alpha instead of Poncho. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. So are Autumn and Poncho friends now or that asking too much?
    Cute story, I'm sure Saint Jude Hospital is very grateful. The pictures paint a thousand words, i felt like I too was on the ride through the largest redwood trees in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margaret thoses pictures are amazing, they are beautiful!!! I think it's wonderful that you are able to include Autumn for such a wonderful cause!! Looks like a bautiful ride. I'm proud of you!! ~Katy

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.