Thursday, August 4, 2011

First Day Of School

Standing at the gate I wondered where the rest of the fence was. The hot wire fence ran left for a couple dozen yards and it ran right  a few dozen yards before each end disappeared through the trees. 

Standing in front of Autumn's school yard.
 I was told that the upper pasture was on a few hundred acres that were partially fenced.  There is fencing to keep them out of the road and barn areas but at the opposite end of the property...the end that joins up with tens of thousands of wilderness acres...well that's not fenced.  Due to a lack of meadows aka food in the untamed forest, the horses just stick around the ranch. 
The Playground.

Well, it took me a few months of walking Autumn up to that gate, unlatching it and latching it back up and quickly aborting the idea before I actually did it.  Every time I stood at that gate I was transported to my first day of school....a new place...new people...no mom... Every time I lifted the handle I worried about Autumn's first day in the pasture.  How was the herd going to treat her?  Would they be protective and nurturing to this one year old giant filly?  Or were they going to try and steal her lunch money on the play ground? Would she have anyone to sit next to at lunch?  Would I be able to find her again? 
It was a gray day when we actually walked through the gate and I latched it behind us.  I took off her halter and I let her lead the way.  She was curious about everything.  Everything that was new to her she bravely marched up to and sniffed, climbed, splashed and tried to eat.

Autumn checking everything out.
 Her curiosity took her deeper into the woods and led her right to the herd.  Crap!  Right away I knew that Autumn was going to get her lunch money stolen on the playground that day. The herd of about fifteen encircled her.  Swishing tails and stomping feet blocked me from jumping in to the fight. Autumn was making little chewing gestures (this is body language used by young horses when they are in a threatening situation to show other horses that they don't want any trouble and they are just babies) but the herd wasn't buying it.  At age one Autumn was now the biggest horse in the herd.  Not only was she the new kid but she was also the big kid.   

Oh no!  Bullies!
 With their lips snarled back, I stood helplessly and watched, as the horses sank their teeth into her.  Others charged her at a dead run stopping last second to wheel around and kick at her with their sharp hooves.  She tried to run out of their circle but they would cut her off.  I started yelling, throwing sticks and rocks at the horses but they ignored me. 
I didn't know what to do.  I decided that I needed to get some help but as I turned to run, help came to Autumn.  A little chestnut gelding named Copper, came running to Autumn's side.  He pinned his ears back and jumped at any horse that came near her.  Copper kicked out and  snapped his teeth at the punks that dared to take another shot at Autumn.
Autumn's new best friend!
When the horses stopped rushing at Autumn, Copper tenderly embraced her with his head.  He soothingly reached up and rubbed his face next to hers.  Although, Autumn was only one year old, she was already bigger then her comforter.  The herd lost interest and wandered off leaving Autumn with her new friend and her totally relieved horse mom.  After that, I didn't have to worry about Autumn loosing her lunch money on the playground or not having a friend to hangout with at lunch anymore.  She had Copper.

Thanks for reading, for all your great comments and for passing my blog onto others! It really means a lot to me.  If you are having trouble leaving a comment and you would like me to post it for you or you would like to be added to my mailing list just let me know at jacksonhillhorseygirl@gmail.com
Copyright (c) 2011 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com

10 comments:

  1. I am going to share this story with my students on the first day of school this year! Many will be able to identify with Autumn since it will be the beginning of middle school. Awesome story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. POOR AUTUMN THROWN INTO THE FAMILIAR STORM OF BEING THE NEW KID AT SCHOOL. THANK GOD FOR COPPER!
    I GUESS LIKE EVERY MOTHER WE HAVE TO TRUST THAT OUR KIDS WILL SURVIVE, JUST LIKE WE DID, BUT THAT'S HARD TO PUT INTO PRACTICE. GOOD JOB, MOTHER OF AUTUMN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I would like my horses to live with a herd- as they are intended to live- it does scare me to to think about that initial foray! You and Amber are brave. I hope we hear more about how she's doing in the "deep end of the pool!" Has her status changed? Is she bullying new kids?

    FYI: starting tonight at the Minor Theatre in Arcata: "Buck" a documentary about the man who was the inspiration for "The Horse Whisperer." go to www.catheatres.com for show times

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being hurt on the playground is not fun but when you can find that something that makes it's alright it helps, as I know you did. That's what is so special that you can understand the heard of life, it only takes one. karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Autumn looks so fuzzy & cute in the exploring pic!! Autumn has come a long way from being the new kid @ school:-) Very cute story I bet a lot of children/animals can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. opps i forgot 2 sign my name -katy

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are so lucky that you take time out of your busy schedule to entertain us. Thank you, again, for a wonderful blog.

    SE & D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so impressed with your stories, I look forward to them, and have sent them to friends and family. I love the pictures of autumn and it is a education for me to learn about horses. You have talent.!!!!!!!!!!
    Linda C.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "We all love Miss Autumn. And to think, now all the horses follow her...except for the oldies. They're too jaded ;)
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elizabeth wrote: "Autumn looks so tiny in those photos! Those she managed to scare the heck out of me a few times back in those days when she'd come charging up to me full tilt like a typical yearling. Cute when the yearling is, well, yearling sized. When the yearly weighs over 1,000 pounds, "cute" gets replaced by "holy crap"!"

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.