Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Sea Shore Through Autumn's Eyes

Autumn's mane dancing up in the wind  like flames in a flickering fire.
Just like any kid, Autumn loves the beach. When we go down the road and head towards Cindy's house Autumn's ears perk up.  That's when she decides to take over and drag me past the gate and up to Cindy's horse trailer.  Cindy can barely get the ramp of the trailer down before Autumn, with me still in tow, will load herself up. After she squeezes herself in a space made for two normal sized horses, she has to sniff Syria, her BFFH (best friend forever horse), over before she buries her head into her hay bag and then...she's ready to rock and roll.  Half an hour later the two BFFHs are rolling around in the sand.  One day when the horses decided to roll with us on top of their backs, Cindy and I quickly made a new rule... always let the horses roll before we ride not when we ride.  1850 pounds of Autumn rolling around on top of you is not a day at the beach, so I think it's a great rule.
Autumn loving life...for some reason she looks like a baby pony rolling around in this photo.
Two weekends ago we finally got a break in the weather and Cindy, me and the BFFH's were back on the beach.  The sun reflected the clouds and blue sky on the glazed wave washed sand.  Autumn stepped on the clouds and into the waves.  She marched into the surf, waves breaking at her knees and stopped to watch some men digging for clams.  She blinked at them thoughtfully her head following them as they poked around in the sand for clams.  She lost interest in the clamers and sloshed back onto the beach to investigate some beached logs.  Conveniently for Autumn, this tree that had been swept down a river, into the ocean and was now washed up on the beach was just the perfect thing to scratch an itch on her chin. With her itch scratched she decided that she wanted to cut through the dunes and follow the river.  She blinked and wondered at a flock of bathing seagulls that fluttered, splashed and squawked in the river. 
The river followed us back to the ocean and the horses began to dance underneath us.  "Well?" I asked Cindy. 
"Yeah!" said Cindy.
Syria and Autumn knew what we were talking about and we were off! The horses raced down the beach with Cindy and I yippy-yi-yay'ing past the breaking surf.  Autumn held her pace while I leaned back in the saddle and watched the clouds canter away from me.  As the horses began to slow Cindy and I were already talking about how this was one of the greatest rides ever. 
Then Autumn stopped.  Why are you stopping girl?  She seemed alright, I gave her a little leg to urge her forward but nothing, she wouldn't budge. She was staring very intently at something but there wasn't anything down the beach except crow close by eating a gangley clam.  She lowered her head all the way to the sand, making herself as tiny as possible and then began to inch her way toward him.  She was just a nose away from touching him before he hopped off a few steps.  Again she tipped toed toward him and right before she could touch him he hopped off again.  When he started to fly a little distance away that's when she got real excited and she would be after him again.   This went on in a zig zag pattern down beach for quite a few minutes before he had enough.  He flew back to his clam and Autumn turned to watch her little buddy go.  We headed back as the clouds began to blow over us. The wind caught a hold of Autumn's mane and made it dance up like flames in a flickering fire.  What a fun day it was having Autumn take me along with her for a day at the sea shore.

Thank you  to everyone that has made a donation for the HERO RIDE FOR LIFE Fundraiser Horse Back Ride to Support the American Cancer Society!  You guys have been so generous!  We're half way to our goal of raising $1,000.  If you would like to make a donation email me at jacksonhillhorseygirl@gmail.com . 
To learn more about our ride read our blog http://jacksonhillhorseygirl.blogspot.com/2011/04/riding-for-cure-for-cancer.html.   Thanks for your support! Margaret & Autumn

If you would like to be added to The Jackson Hill Horsey Girl Blog mailing list please email me at Jacksonhillhorseygirl@gmail.com

Copyright (c) 2011 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com

6 comments:

  1. Hey Great Blog!! I love the BFFH!! I can't believe how small Autumn looks rolling in the sand! I love the description you give of Autumn's mane dancing in the wind. You're writing is amazing and you paint such a crystal clear image in your work! Keep up the great work because I look foward to it every week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sea Shore Through Autumn's Eyes," reminded me of the day my German Shepherd, Zoey ran into Eagle Lake in the Sierra mountains to play fetch the stick. As soon as Zoey charged into the lake I noticed a young female duck out cruising around. The bored duck took notice of Zoey and decided to play, let's see if you can catch me. However, her playmate wasn't that interested. But, once in a while Zoey would take a quick glance at the duck, as if saying to herself for a brief second, I guess I should chase this annoying thing, but changed her mind and focused back on the stick that I was about to through out to her. Still, the young duck kept trying to get Zoey's attention so she would paddle back towards my wolf (sometimes I call her my wolf, because when she is wet she looks like a full blooded wolf!) Silly, duck didn't seem concerned that she was so small and so vulnerable getting that close to Zoey, but for the duck, just like Autumn it was all about the play!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks so tiny like you could go over and rub her belly and pick her up.
    I love how curious she is. A nice liesurely stroll down the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can feel your excitement of cantering on the beach. What I also enjoyed is your friendship with Autumn and the connection you both have. "Rolling on the beach is fun mom"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just look forward to all your stories of Autumn and I like to share them with Nick too. I am learning about horses thru your eyes and it is a great adventure. Have a great party today too, and come and visit really soon. Love Laura

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.