Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I Will Never Forget

     Twelve years have rolled across the seas of my time.  The wild seas of 9/11 have calmed, leaving pieces of my memories scattered like seashells on the beach.  Today, September 11, 2013, I can barely think a thought without stepping on a seashell.  I pick one up and remember the weeks after 9/11.  There was the time I got stopped in traffic on the side of the highway as firefighting ladder trucks parked themselves on opposite sides of the highway with their ladders extended to their furthest reaches, holding an enormous American flag across the roadway for the funeral procession to pass beneath.  

     Spray painted bed sheets hung off over passes thanking rescue workers and declaring that "We will never forget".   In every home's window was tapped a paper American Flag that the New York newspapers had included in their circulation since there was not a single flag in stock anywhere to buy. 
     It was cold when I headed back into the city for the first time.  The skyline driving in showed the sadness of its loss.  As I walked downtown I passed churches whose outside walls had become memorials.  Withered flowers hung next to tattered, faded and runny notes with photos from loved ones looking for their lost.

     Ground Zero was fenced off with chain link with blinds weaved through it so you couldn't see.  I climbed up a street light to get a better look at what wasn't there.  Part of what was left of one of the towers sat in tortured rubble.  Ribs of metal girders twisted out of itself.  Hanging off the end of one of the girders was a computer monitor hanging by its cord.  It was swaying gently, back and forth in the wind. New York fell silent around me as I watched it tick back and forth, a pendulum in time.  A seashell in my memories.  I will never forget.  

Be sure to read last week's blog about my Dad, a New York Fire Fighter's story at Buildings On His Boots.

Thanks for reading!  If you would like to leave a comment or would like to be added to my email list please contact me at Jacksonhillhorseygirl@aol.com

Copyright (c) 2014 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com September 11, 2013

5 comments:

  1. THE greatest memorial of all is to LIVE ... and LIVE WELL.... not in fear.... not in hatred... not in bad order... but to live well.

    Nothing defeats "terrorism" in whatever form it takes(and that includes racism and religious intolerance) better than ignoring it.. than rising above it... to LIVE WELL....

    Failure hates Success

    That is also what we must never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A graceful and benevelolent way of describing such a sad day and so close to your home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very thoughtful tribute of such sad and memorable day Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Margaret,

    I read all your blogs and look forward to them every time. I must say that what you wrote regarding “Never Forget” moved me to tears. You write so eloquently and with such passion.

    Not being a true New Yorker per say as I am New England bred, when this event happened living here, I felt like part of the people who are true New Yorkers. I think back to current events in my lifetime like Kennedy being killed and I saw on TV in real-time Jack Ruby shoot Oswald. Then Bobby and Martin and John Lennon also in the tragic mix. But I never saw anything as tragic as 9/11 and how everyone came together to unite and to try to heal and bond with foresight to carry on. New Yorkers are strong and heartfelt no matter what is said elsewhere. I’ve lived in all parts of this great country but still proud to be a part of New York and what it stands for.

    Hope all is well and give a shout out to Casey and Autumn.
    Roger G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosemary wrote: "Splendid! Thank you."

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.