Thursday, September 5, 2013

Buildings On His Boots

    It took my Dad twenty years to reach five days before September 11, 2001.  This was the date he retired from the Fire Department of New York (FDNY). I can remember going to my Dad's graduation from the fire academy when I was bumping around his knees as a four year old. 
Me, Dad & Mom on Graduation Day
Grandma Diemer, Dad & Grandpa Diemer on Graduation Day
 
     When your dad is a firefighter you become part of the firefighting family.  At Christmas we would head into the city for the annual firehouse party where too many hot dogs were eaten as we all waited for Santa to slide down the pole with our gifts.  In the summer we would go to the big beach picnic where we would eat more hot dogs. 
     Dad had a lot of stories from the job but my favorite was how he pulled a Pee Wee Herman and rescued a bunch of animals out of a burning pet store.  The ASPCA awarded him plaque for his compassion.  Next to the plaque sat a photo of him carrying a person away from a fire on a stretcher in the snow.  Sometimes, Dad's stories were not spoken but told in the burns and injuries he came home with.  There were the times when he came home and he was just silent.  A few days would pass and I'd watch Dad leave the house dressed in his uniform blues to say good by to a fallen friend.
    Occasionally, Dad would bring home his turnout gear (his firefighting coat, pants, helmet, boots, gloves) and I would put on a little fashion show.  I would last about two minutes before the shear weight of the outfit overheated and crushed me into escaping before it suffocated me.  That is what he had to wear, with his oxygen tank, into burning buildings as he climbed flights of stairs to sometimes carry out another's life in his arms. That was my Dad's job.
     In the spring of the year Dad was to retire, there was a terrible fire that occurred on June 17, 2001.  It is known as the Father's Day Fire.  Three of New York's Bravest died that day: my Dad's close friend, Harry Ford, Brain Fahey and John Downing.  Up until then, that was one of the worst days in FDNY history.  The loss of those three men in one single fire was unbelievable...at that time.
     Then on one sunny, brilliant fall day, as I was leaving the house to feed the horses I heard the TV.  A plane hit the World Trade Center.  Ten minutes later my dad was running into the house to grab is turnout gear that had only been retired for five days.  His buddy, that he had retired with him, pulled in the driveway.  Hell had opened up in New York and I had to hug him goodbye.
    Towers fell, phone lines jammed, planes crashed. Newspaper extras hit the stands at noon showing pictures of people jumping out of the buildings.  Lines of donors wrapped around the blood banks.  Tractor trailers waited on the sides of roads as they got filled with medical supplies, food and water donations.   American flags sold out in hours.
    As night fell and the candle light vigils along the highways glowed, we waited for dad.  It was late when he came home.  He did not say much and we loved him too much to ask.  The one thing he said was he couldn't believe all the beeping.  He just shook his head as if he were tying shake the sound out of his thoughts.  The beeping sound, he was talking about, was from the Personal Alert Safety System (PASS) devices that the firefighters wore. When a firefighter becomes incapacitated and has stopped moving the PASS device sends out a shrill beeping sound. The alarm helps the other firefighters to locate them and get them to safety.  I watched my Dad, who looked as though ten years had collapsed on him in twelve hours, take off his boots that were covered in the buildings that changed the world that day. 

My Dad's Company fire truck on 9/11

 
Thanks for reading.  If you would like to be added to my mailing list or would like to leave a comment please contact me at Jacksonhillhorseygirl@aol.com
 

A view of the old New York skyline from the Staten Island Ferry
 
 
Copyright (c) 2013 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com September 6th 2013

 

21 comments:

  1. I thank your Papa as I thank my brother. He was a central London fireman for 27 years.... it finally cost him a lung.

    These people tell the funny stories.. and fall silent about the days of horror.

    They understand the "No turning back... no man left "down "

    Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is "wow." Margaret, not only do you have an amazing talent for writing, but you have an awesome Dad!!! Thanks for sharing, Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a touching story Margaret, its hard being on the west coast and relate to all of the firefighter, ems, police and first responders who worked so hard during 9/11; oftentimes we think about those men and women and forget what their families must go through. Thank you for sharing! - Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you to remember us ! This day changed the whole world. Also my life was changed with this event. And thank you to all the hero's in NY which saved many many lives ! And a big thank you to all which are daily out there to help and rescue others ! Willi

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~Stacey Dalton This was awesome. I actually had tears.

    ~Susan Finnegan Simone I've heard the stories from your dad, but I loved hearing it from your point of view.

    ~Rachel Miller So beautifully written

    ReplyDelete
  6. ~Rosemary wrote: "Thank you, Margaret."

    ~Kathleen wrote: "Very touching."

    ~Willi H. Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathryn wrote: "This was written by my cousin Margaret Hague about her father (my Godfather) Alan B Diemer. It is a beautiful depiction of her life as the daughter of one of New York's bravest. It is a great read for anyone who has a fireman in their life that they love. The Diemer clan is blessed to have Alan B Diemer."

    ReplyDelete
  8. ~Elizabeth wrote: "So touching. Thank you."

    ~John wrote: "Made me cry"

    Jon Bullock "Wow. I intend to share this one."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanted to tell you what an incredible job you did on your last blog! It was so moving & powerful I balled my eyes out on my lunch break when I
    read it!!! It made me feel so nostalgic thinking about the Xmas party's at the firehouse! That was one of the most exciting days of the whole year for us!!!!! Also I remember you and I walking around so proud to show people dads plaque for rescuing the animals, incredible! You're writing was so beautiful & ur so gifted & talented!!! I think that's the best gift a father can receive from his daughter to honor him publicly like that for his friends & family to read & to use the special gift of your words, you're wonderful & I love you!
    ~Katy

    ReplyDelete
  10. CindyLou wrote: "Humbling. Thank your Dad for me."

    Stacey wrote: "<3 as always

    Anne wrote: "Loved it Margaret!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Mags,
    Thanks for sharing this part of your life I wasn't aware of. My dad was LAPD for
    25 years, and always used to remind us that firefighting was far more dangerous
    than police work. He was also an MP during WWII, and more than once warned us
    not to confuse him with a war hero - "I did my duty and gave my time, but many
    gave far more than time." There's something pretty solid about most folks that
    go into public service - they view it as a way to contribute to the betterment
    of the human condition.

    Best,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! You gave such insight to the life of a man I barely know but have have always loved as a cousin.
    Rosemary Joyce-koga

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you.
    Chuck Powell


    ReplyDelete
  14. Margaret,
    Your stories always get to me, whether I’m struggling to remain continent while laughing too loud, or struggling to blink back tears.
    That was one of the best so far…
    Lisa K. H.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Dad must be a wonderful man.
    ~Cindy L.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mags,
    That was a beautiful read. I have always been proud of your dad and definitely miss him as part of our family events. Please send my best to him.

    LUJ

    ReplyDelete
  17. A very hard blog to read. Your dad is a great man and you are lucky to have him as your dad. I was born in Jersey but have lived in CA for decades and remember that day vividly. The horror is still hard to deal with; the sounds, and the dead silence afterwards.
    Louise Cook

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was a amazing blog, brought back so many memories. your dad is a amazing man , as so many others who risked there lives for others. we are a closer nation because of all the unselfish acts of kindness. laura

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Margaret. Beautifully written and simply stated.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have FINALLY had some time to spend at the little library here in NH. I just had the honor of reading your essay - and it gave me goose bumps! I was in Acadia National Park in Maine with Gordon and my sister and her husband on vacation on 9/11. We had driven down to Belgrade Lakes Marina (a 2 hour drive) early that morning to rent a boat and cruise the lake where we had spent our youth with our parents. We did not have the radio on. We parked and walked into the Marina to rent the boat and the first plane had just crashed into the Tower. It is a day that I will remember FOREVER! I did not know that your father was a firefighter and had been at the Towers that awful day. How proud you must be of him!

    There are certain times in our lives that make indelible impressions - my first was the day that Kennedy was assasinated, my second was, and IS September 11.

    xoxo Linda

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful heartfelt story.
    Your father exemplifies what human beings were meant to be.
    JAATAY
    Chris Beere

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.