Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pushing Through The Wind

    I looked forward all week for a ride on the beach with Cindy on Sunday.  I was able to cram all my domestic duties into Saturday so on Sunday I could ride guilt free.  The forecast called for 30 knot winds at the beach.  To beat the wind, Cindy and I packed up the horses in the trailer real early and got to beach just in time for the wind blow in our faces as we pulled in.  It was howling from the north so we decided to ride in between the dunes to block the face blowing winds.  Autumn, my normally unfazed, calm gentle giant, turned rock hard, wide eyed, with her head held high and ears snapping in every direction when I turned her down the dune trail.  I decided to walk next to her and let her calm down a bit before I climbed on.  With Autumn so nervous I was barely able to notice how the sky was a beautiful blue sky blue and the how beach grass pulsated and throbbed with each gust and the way the yellow lupine swelled and spilled over the white sand. 
Ears of a not relaxed Belgian.

    I continued to be calm and she kept trying her hardest to be calm.  Eventually, she quieted a little bit seeing that her friend horse, Syria, wasn't bothered by the scene around her.  It was a relief to be on her instead of walking beside all 2000 pounds of her...kind of.  I had to keep my focus on telling her that she was fine and nothing was going to happen to her.  Unlike 99% of my rides where I get to space out and sight see on Autumn's back, I had to be there for her every hoof step of the way.  As we reached the top of a steep dune I knew Autumn wanted me to get off and lead her down so she could follow behind me.  She followed me down to the river at which point Autumn took a deep breath.  Her marble hard muscles relaxed and the sharpness in her eyes softened back brown.  Her deep breath was contagious and I found myself ready to get back in the saddle.  I climbed aboard and Autumn kicked back into my personal tour guide.  She splashed her way into the ocean and stopped to watch the seagulls get snatched away by the rambunctious wind.
These are the ears of a much more relaxed Belgian

    As Autumn pushed us through the winds I thought about how crappy the start of our ride was.  As I thought about it, I realized that I wasn't giving her any credit.  From the first second we turned down the dune path she was visibly scared and nervous.  She had an hour of opportunities back in the dunes to run me over, bolt, buck me off or to snap out of my hands and run for the trailer.  She never did.  When something caused her to jump out of her boots she was able to maintain enough control to spook right in place and not run over the top of me.  She let me know when she wanted me to get off her so she could follow behind me.  I have to hand it to her, she really kept it together as best she could. Walking with the wind on our backs next to the familiar rumble of the sea I think we both appreciated being there together for each other.

Thanks for reading!  If you like to be added to my email list or would like to leave a comment please contact me at Jacksonhillhorseygirl@aol.com.  Please feel free to share my stories with your friends.

Copyright (c) 2013 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com May 29, 2013

10 comments:

  1. My first read of your blog. Very good work. It almost made me feel I was there with you. Mid-June will be Ben's first beach trip. We've been camping close (2 to 3 hour ride one way)but haven't made it out that far yet....there are too many good trails & too much to see closer to campsites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the photos. Its a learning curve isnt it. You always have to ask yourself who was there for whom. I say it again.. they teach us... we... are their Mission.

    Draw a HUG in th sand for me

    Hugssss

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding me of the partnership we form with our horse. It's all about trust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are always so perceptive with Autumn and with your thoughts you put down on paper. It's nice to know that Autumn takes care of you to. Thanks for the awesome blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Margaret--
    Again, I have to say how much I love your prose. Your descriptions are so 'painterly' and loving that I find myself back on Clam Beach again. Here's to you, Cindy, Autumn, and Syria!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love to read your essays. . .especially the ones from excursions on the beach as I have been there with you and Andrea and Cindy and your horses. Horses are like other animals - cats, dogs,even people - with support and love they are able to cooperate, work through their fear and trust that you will see them through whatever is going on.
    Keep on writing - I don't always get the chance to comment on each essay, but I read them all!
    See you (and Casey, too, I hope) in CA!
    xo Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written. Thank you for sharing your experience. Cindy L.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rosemary wrote: "Marvelous! And your pictures suit your words--or maybe the other way around."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jon wrote: "Great read. Funny how the "big horses" politely let you know what you need to do, and when to do it. I honestly beleive that the big guys think things through before they make a bad move."

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a Beautiful story. It seems the two of have a communication that does not have to be spoken. Karen

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.