Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Trillium

Inbetween rainstorms, I saddled Autumn up and headed out to the forest trails. 
Entrance into the forest.
Upon entering the woods, Autumn stopped.  She was positioned in front of and overgrown path that ran straight through my memories.  The trillium trail.
Yes.  That trial is heading straight up!
Before Autumn was old enough to ride, I would take her for walks through the forest.  On one such walk, upon entering the woods, she stopped and looked intently at a vertical mountain path.  I coaxed her to follow me but she just wouldn't budge.  In fact, she began to drag me towards it.  Her persistence kidnapped my curiosity. I slipped off her halter and decided to see what her intent was.  
She started up the steep and muddy slope, stopped, turned her head toward me and gave me the well are you coming or not? look.  I gave her a pat on the rump and off we went.  She ducked under low tree limbs and stepped over fallen trees.  When the brush got too thick to pass Autumn would turn around and find a new passage to continue on with her journey.  Brambles tangled around us but lost their hold on us as we continued upwards.  She held a steady, almost urgent pace, as I traipsed in wonder behind her.  If I fell to far behind she would stop and wait patiently until I caught up and off again she would go. 
The path opened up to a flat area, just big enough for Autumn and I to stand.  We were encircled by trees whose branches touched above us and whose leaves of past now rested brown and yellow beneath our feet.  Autumn looked at me and then down at the ground.  I came close beside her. 
With her nose she touched the pink petals of a solitary trillium.  I bent down and Autumn touched her soft muzzle against my hand.  I marveled at Autumn.  Could she have taken me all the way up here to show me this flower?  How could she have known it was here?  This overgrown trail had not been tread upon in ages according to all the thorns now pricked into my body.   Her warm muzzle pushed me out of my thoughts and towards this little flower.  I picked it. 
Autumn lifted her head with me as I stood up.  Without hesitation, she started back down the path we came and I followed.  We walked all the way back to the barn that day together, side by side.  In my hand I held a bewildering gift that my great friend had given me that has transformed itself into the greatest of memories.  I later learned that a trillium flower symbolizes purity, beauty and healing...all of what I appreciate in Autumn.  Amazement, wonder and what my heart felt that day keep that memory with Autumn filled with magic and the love I have for her.
Autumn's trillium. 
I keep it pressed and tucked into a favorite book.
Thanks for reading!  If you would like to join my email list please contact me at jacksonhillhorseygirl@gmail.com.
Copyright (c) 2012 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com

16 comments:

  1. I love this! I am jealous of your relationship with your horse

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Next time you see me, remind me to tell you the story of Shady the pony and the lost rat. This story of yours reminded me of it.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! What a magical relationship you two have....I just LOVE it!! I fall in love with Autumn more and more with each story. Thank you for sharing her with us! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful story, it brought a tear to my eye!! I love the way you write!!!! It paints such a great picture of all your unique stories!!! Flower is awesome & the meaning is ever better!!!! Love, Katy ps the only thing Ppants let's me pick up is poop! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your horse, she's so sensitive!
    Aunt Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your gentle giant is such a sensitive girl always reminding you, and us, your readers to stop and look around at all the beauty in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful story. Autumn is like a child giving her mom a special gift that she has been waiting for just the right time. I feel like I was walking in the woods with you both. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are their Mission.. and very slow to learn at times. They are patient with us !

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natalie wrote: "Autumn is the most amazing creature :)"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice write-up, Maggie.
    thanks for the blogs,
    Gay

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a GORGEOUS essay!! In life, it is almost always the LITTLEST things that bring the most joy, a baby's smile, a solitary bird, a flower, a consoling word during a difficult time, your beloved horse whinnying - or snorting - on a foggy beach, a kindness that you do for someone else.
    Love,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diane wrote: "You are an artist with words. You paint such a picture. Its like being there with you."

    ReplyDelete
  13. This blog is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your creative writing was at its best and your time in the forest with Autumn could only be imagined, by girls who dream of being with horses.
    ~SE

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been enjoying all your blog posts. I read them aloud to Seth
    every week. Keep up the good work!

    Elly

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Happy Birthday Mags, Tell Autumn that we have hundreds of trilliums blooming on our property now..so love to walk around with the dogs and enjoy them...now when I see them I also think of you two girls, and how adorable you would both be about it.."
    ~Nancy P.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful. I hope one day Tiny and I can have such an open and trusting relationship

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.