Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Bitter Sweet

A blue pickup truck backed up to our loading ramp at the veterinary hospital.  The owner opened the tail gate and out followed an enormous panting ewe (a female sheep).  The ewe looked like a wool covered blimp with little ears and stick legs poking out.  That was why she was brought to see us.  Although she was pregnant, she was bloated to double what her normal size should be.  The owner wanted to make sure that her babies were still alive and that the ewe's life was not in danger.  The doctors used the ultrasound to find another heart beating inside her besides her own.  Due to her size and her level discomfort they decided that the safest thing to do was to induce her into labor.  The doctors warned us that do to the unusual symptoms she was displaying that her lambs may be deformed or still born. We all took turns spending time with her, showering her with well wishes and positive thoughts.  We watched her for two days before the doctor came running into the office.  "She's in labor!" 
We all ran to her stall.  Her water broke and it looked like the Hover Dam had broke loose.  Momma ewe had deflated to half her size.  The doctor had to help her deliver.  She reached inside and pulled out a floppy little lamb.  We all froze waiting to see any signs of life.  As the doctor began to lower the little body to the ground we heard ...cough...cough...  "It's alive!  Here!"  She passed me the slippery little lamb.  As I took a hold of her she slipped right through my hands!  That's when my crazy once-in-a-blue-moon ninja reflexes kicked in and I caught her before she crashed landed on her head. 
My heart was pounding.  Now that I had this gooey, little critter in my hands I had no idea what to do with her.  "What do I do?"  I asked the doctor as she was reaching in for another lamb.  She told me to hold her upside down to get all that slime out of her mouth.  I got it all cleared out but she was going limp again.  "She's not breathing!" 
"Blow in her mouth." 
And that's when I began lamby CPR to this little woolly ball and she came back to life for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I dried her and ruffled her up with a towel admiring what a little miracle I held in my hands
While I was taking care of my little lamb I hadn't noticed that she now had a brand new sister and brother. 
The three little miracles.  My little lamb is on the right.
We snuggled the lambs up to their exhausted momma who, snuzzled and kissed her little precious babies. 

I love ewe momma!
The entire office staff was glued to that stall all day tending to these little cuties.  One of our clients, who brought her horse in for an appointment that morning, was so captivated by these little lambs that she ended up staying the whole day to help us.  We were all instantly in love with these little woolly bundles.  We took turns making sure they were warm under the heat lamp and blankets. We picked them up as they fell teetering over to their momma.  We did the volley ball dive to snatch them up if it looked like their exhausted momma might wobble over on top of them. 
As they day went on, my little lamb began to grow weaker as her eyes tried their hardest to sparkle.  The owner came and loaded momma into the back of the truck.  She placed the lambs in a cozy little box and let them ride shotgun beside her.  As I tucked the lambs in the box I wished for them to grow strong and bouncy and prayed that they would all make it.  We high fived each other in the parking lot as the pick up truck with the bumper sticker "Ewe-Haul", pulled off with our day of miracles in it.  
I called the next day to see how the lambs and momma made out.  Unfortunately, my little lamby didn't make it but her brother, sister and momma were doing great.  This is the hardest part of my job.  Getting covered in poop, blood, pee, snot, working overtime, non stop phone calls... I can deal with all that stuff.  It is when something that is out of our hands happens despite all of our efforts, care and love that really makes me sad.  I will never make an excuse or rationalize my sadness. These moments of sadness just fill me with more compassion to share with the next being that needs my love and care.

Thanks for reading!  Have a Happy St. Patrick's Day!  If you would like to be added to my email list please contact me at Jacksonhillhorseygirl@gmail.com.
Copyright (c) 2012 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com

18 comments:

  1. "EWE" Rock! Nice story. It's always so sad when something as precious and sweet as a baby animal dies. I can't believe that poor momma had triplets though! Isn't that unusual? I suppose it was a pretty high chance that not all three triplets would make it. Thanks for your bittersweet story, and your positive outlook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What incredible miracles you get to witness, albeit frequently covered in blood, goo and poo, but literally oozing with life. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry that poor baby didn't make it. Very sad, but happy the other two are doing well. I used to visit a farm of relatives when I was a kid and although I love the taste I cannot eat lamb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my sheep & lambing season is always quite the surprise on how it all turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are one of the most compassionate loving people I know. Poncho loves you and feels very lucky to have you looking over him.
    Saint Margaret. I miracle down.
    Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing.
    You are a great writer.
    Loss is so hard, but it does get us ready for the deaths of our own animals and perhaps even helps us when it is time for us to let go.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tracie wrote: "You must always find the positive to every situation and I think you did an outstanding job! The other little lamb is now in a better place with little angel wings upon her back... And am sure she is grateful for what you did..."

    When you try to revive a lamb/sheep you call that "SheepER" (CPR) Nice ending to a rather unusual beginning...NICE JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary wrote: "Ewe are so funny"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anne wrote: "Hey Margaret, you had me in tears. Poor little lamb............."

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a sweet heart and are a very good writer.
    ~C.L.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very captivating story and perfect blog title. I also liked the whale story. As mentioned previously, your stories take me away from the everyday stormy weather and bring me to another place. I’m so glad I got to see where you live, it makes all the more enjoyable.
    LUJ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good thing that you didn't tell me in person, I cried of course. I am always embarrassed by how emotional I get over sick or dying animals and you helped me by the fact that you never apologize for an emotion of sadness.

    Your baby lamb found its way into David's lap. A celebration of spring for the both of them.
    ~S.E.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another wonderful essay! I am glad that you are not becoming cynical at your job. Sometimes, as hard as we try, we cannot cure a loved one - be it a cherished pet, a beast of burden" or a friend or family member.
    xoxo Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. As always ewe told a great story of your exciting life at the vets. Sad, yet heart fulfilling watching life come into the world. Good Job!!!

    Luv CC

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was always a time I loved best... lambing.. for all its joys and sorrows... it made me feel ALIVE. Same with the calving and the foaling. Dont ever apologise for the sadness either.... its part of what makes us try to be the best we can be.

    Hugsss

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a beautiful story, you job is filled with such LIFE, you are very lucky to be part of it, and we are so lucky that you share these precious moments with us. Love laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, good story to bad for the one who didn't make it. You and your office did their best an that is all one can do. I too love the little critters.
    M.M.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful story!!! Remember when you brought my hamster back to life:-) you're the best!!! That might be one of the cutest pics of all time!! I'm sad too that the little guy didn't make it:-( but I'm happy everyone else is ok . Great blog Margaret, I'm so proud to call you my sister!!!!! Love, Katy

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.