Wednesday, May 28, 2014

One Step at a Time

     I have been a member of the California State Horsemen's Association's  (CSHA) Trail Riders Awards Program (TRAP), since 2012. TRAP was established in 1988 to honor and recognize the trail rider who is the foundation of the CSHA and to encourage the use and maintenance of riding and hiking trails.  I keep track of the hours I trail ride and maintain in log.  At the end of each month I send my log into the program chair.  This poor woman patiently deals with my number dyslexia and corrects when I've accidentally added a 60 hour ride into one of my days. 
   As the hours spent in the saddle add up, you get awarded patches and plaques for your accomplishments.  It's always fun to get a lumpy envelope with a patch that awards you for another 100 hours left behind in hoof prints.  The main reason I joined is that the club is able to take all of the participant's hours, region by region, and have them work to encourage participation at state and local government levels to preserve equestrian traditions and to safeguard the equine community against policies that adversely impact its well-being. 
     Over the last few years Autumn and I have logged just over 600 hours.  We just received our 500 hour plaque which hangs off a crooked thumb tack in the barn.
 
Our major award!

Our trophy on display amongst our clutter.
(Snowdrops, can you see your blue ribbon award you made us?  We love it!)
    Autumn and I have swam away hours.
Splashing in sunshine on the Mad River
 
    We have camped away a weekends of hours riding through, and under, the most gigantic old growth redwoods at Cuneo Creek.
Cindy leading the way on Syria under a fallen redwood tree.
   We have left time in memories on the beaches in Humboldt county.
Caught in a fall sunset at Clam Beach
    When Autumn injured her stifle we walked side by side through the forest as she healed.  Our time spent on the trails sometimes only adds up to 15 minutes, just a quick walk before work. Other times hours melt away.  I don't think many people would bother to add those 15 minutes in but I write them all down.  Hoof beat by hoof beat we have logged over 600 hours. 
    It is amazing what a fifteen minute ride can give you.  It is fifteen minutes of being with my best friend sharing in the way the light slips into the forest.  Sharing the way the shadows fall from the clouds onto the mountains.  Sharing the echo of bird songs in the blowing breezes.   
    Below is a fifteen minute trail walk with Autumn as my photo assistant and Lilly leading the way:
Leaving the barn.

Looking at  Kneeland, the mountain across from us.




Autumn at New Pond, not happy that she is not pigging out on grass.

Autumn happier after I let her get a little snack of grass....I'm a total pushover.


Making the turn for home.



Snow Camp is the mountain across from us.

There's Autumn's palace straight ahead.  She is happy because she knows that it is dinner time.


   If you would like more information on how to join CSHA click on  California State Horsemen's Association.  If you would like to participate in the TRAP program please click on California State Horseman's Association Trail Rider Awards Program.

Thanks for reading!  If you would like to be added to my mailing list or would like to contact me please email me at Jacksonhillhorseygirl@aol.com.

Copyright (c) 2014 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com May 28, 2014

10 comments:

  1. This is simply BEAUTIFUL !!!

    You will always have the JOY of those hours.. and THAT is so SO special ! Not only are you helping others with this ... you are keeping a Beautiful Memory Book.

    Our animals heal us.. they rescue us... we are the small part.. they are the Magic.

    Just a little aside... I collate daily comments for CoCoRaHS..... its citizen science. I collate for 6 States each night. AZ...CA...CO...NV...NM... & UT. One of my commenters who does weather readings daily (as I do where I live) lives on Kneeland Mountain !! NOW I have a picture !!!

    And yessssss !!!!! I see I see I see the blue Rosette !!! Glee !!!!

    Love and Hugsssss
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so neat that you sort of know someone from Kneeland. Do you know their names? Not a lot of people live up there. It is so beautiful up there. I like to go on calls with the veterinarians up there. We have a lot of cattle clients up there. You are involved in so many neat things. :-)

      Delete
  2. LOL.. I removed the first comment(same as the second) as I hadnt checked the spelling !!!

    Hugssss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret, thanks for your kind words about TRAP! It is folks like you that make it worth all the time I spend on the program. I also look back on my logs and remember a special time and/or place I spent with my horses and family.

    Marie Grisham
    CSHA TRAP Chair

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret Hague thanks so much for your kind words about TRAP! It made my day. Marie Grisham

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colette Metz wrote:

    Great post Margaret!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jim Hendrickson wrote:

    I would like to congratulate you on going over 500 hours in trail riding!
    I enjoyed reading your blog and your support of the CSHA Trails Program.
    As president of CSHA it is important to me to hear that our members enjoy the Programs we offer. I believe TRAP is one of our most important programs, because it does give all of us data to discuss trail issues.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kimberly Hufford Frick wrote:

    Been thinking of signing up for that. Does it count if its my "job"?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rosemary wrote: "That was such a pleasure to read. Thank you."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome Margaret! 600hrs, crazy!!! I can probably log 600+hours of pizza eating & pug snuggling lol. You're awesome sister!! Proud of you :-)
    Katy

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.