Wednesday, May 21, 2014

A Friend In Need

     It was close to 7:30 in the evening when I had finished feeding the horses at the ranch after I had gotten home late from work.  Autumn was waiting by the gate of the pasture when I went to catch her.  There really wasn't much catching involved.  I walked up to my dozing draft horse and slipped her halter on.  Her breath was heavy with spring's new  grass. 
     I tucked her into her stall and gave her a little hay for dinner.   I turned a bucket over and sat in her stall to read my book for a bit.  As I read I listened to her shift her weight from leg to leg.  After a few pages it got real quiet.  Autumn was not eating.  I looked up to see her puffed up like the Goodyear Blimp with ears.  The poor thing was so bloated and gassy from all the rich spring grass!  Of course I sort of panicked like I always do when she is hurt or not feeling well.  Then my logic kicked in...get her walking and farting!  I slipped on her halter and we headed for the hills. Gravity can be a great asset for gas expulsion in farm animals.  I decided that I would walk her for a half hour and if no farts I would call the vet.

Sitting quietly, doing nothing, spring comes, and the grass grows by itself” ~Zen saying
"...then it will make your horse explode" ~Jackson Hill Horsey Girl add on to Zen saying
     The twilight grew faint. The wind hushed the air gentle with soft stars.  Autumn stayed close to me and I stroked stroke her mane as we walked.  The lion in the constellation Leo pursued us through the trees above.  Mars blushed at Jupiter as we walked below on the country road.  I prayed to the stars to help make my friend feel better.
Then the stillness broke...more like, wind broke.  Our quiet walk through the woods began to sound more like a world polka band convention chasing us through the woods.  It was music to my ears.  I sighed as Autumn deflated to her normal giant size. 
    The moon broke free from the horizon and guided us home as we tooted up the hill.  I tucked Autumn in her stall and she happily began eating.  I was so relieved and happy.  I hugged her and headed home...Then I neurotically went back up to the barn to check on her a few more times that night and then I went to sleep.  
 
 
The moon catching Autumn's blaze in it's blue glow
Thanks for reading!  If you would like to contact me or would like to be added to my mailing list, please email me at Jacksonhillhorseygirl@aol.com.
 
Copyright (c) 2014 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com  May 21, 2014 

8 comments:

  1. The wind was a torrent of darkness
    Amongst the gusty trees
    The Moon was a ghostly galleon ,tossed upon cloudy seas.
    The road was a ribbon of moonlight over the purple Moor
    When the Highway man came riding..........

    Oppps.... nope the wind was Autumn !!!

    (apologied to Alfred Noyes !)

    Hugsssssssssss :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great poem! What a picture he paints. I do like your revised addition! As always I love your comments!

      Delete
  2. Who knew that a story about farts could be so beautiful and poetic!! LB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful place to have gas, what a good Mamma Autumn has. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's a great idea. I've been worried about the same thing. I'm going to chase my 3 up and down the hills! Cat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Barber shared your link: "Passing gas..."

    ReplyDelete


  6. Jon Bullock commented on a link you shared.
    Jon wrote: "I know that feeling....when your stomach is as nervously torn up as your horses.....just walking together in the dark and waiting for a poo, breaking, of wind, or even a gurgle from that right flank. The time it happened with us is when I realized just how much I really love the big fella and how much I'd miss him if the worst happened. Good read! "

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ride on Zen Horseygirl! Papa

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.