Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Things I Would Never See

     I shaved the fur around Autumn's right hind stifle joint, trying to make it as smooth as possible for her  ultrasound recheck exam. Three months have passed since she was diagnosed with an injury to her medial meniscus in her stifle.  The injury presented itself as a limp at the trot and a swollen bulge over the joint. After a thorough examination with x-rays and an ultrasound the doctor said no riding and no strenuous exercise for the next few months until the next recheck.  At the time he opted not to preform any invasive procedures in order to see how much healing she could do on her own.  He did decide to start her on a regime of intravenous Legend to help stimulate the production of healthy joint fluid and to decrease inflammation and damage in the joint.
    Over the next three months, Autumn had her good days and bad.  After witnessing her in the pasture at feeding time not chasing down the rancher and ripping bales of hay off the back of his trailer and instead  waiting patiently for him to loop around to toss some hay at her hooves my heart stopped.  Autumn not running for food!?!  I knew she was in pain.  I then had to confine her to a small pen where she did not have to walk far for her water and food.  After a few weeks of rest in the small pen combined with her Legend injections working their magic she made it loud and clear that she was ready to go back out to pasture by literally dragging me to it by the end of her rope.  
     Since riding was out of the question we took a lot of walks around the ranch during her layoff.   Memories of when I first got her at 10 months old returned.  Too young to ride her back then, we discovered every trail we could find in the redwoods of Jackson Hill Ranch.  I forgot how fun it was just to be with her.  I love riding her but I sit so far up on her I feel a little out of reach with her.  I mean I can feel what she is doing and she listens to my cues but when I  walk next to her I feel more with her.  I can watch her blinking her brown eyes at curious little things around her.  She will nudge me along, sometimes taking me somewhere that she would like to go.  Being next to her, she is able to show me what she is thinking about.  It's nothing like I have swirling in my mind.  She will stop and listen to the wind washing through the pine boughs above.  She has stopped me in front of the crescent moon in the middle of the sky while dawn stretches awake its pink and peach glow behind the mountains.   

moon light morning Jan 7 2013
Autumn watches the moon wake up the morning.
She would stop to drink from the new winter flowed creeks.  She would eavesdrop on the cackling crow couple chatting to each other from across the tree strands and then wait to watch them fly to each other.  She has made me see things I would never see. 
    After two hours of re-examination, the doctor concluded that she had made quite a bit of progress.  She was not  as lame and the swelling had gone down quite a bit.  He gave us permission to start light riding and just gage it by how well she handles it.  When he gave us the good news I was surprised how totally excited I wasn't.  I was one hundred gazillion percent happy that she was healing and feeling better but there was a funny feeling when I thought about riding again.  I know that once I get back in the saddle I sort of get addicted to being on her back and tend to shrug off just walking along beside her.  I was afraid that I might miss all of those little moments she had been sharing with me in her life.  I was afraid I would miss her showing me all those things to remember.  I made a decision to make sure I allot time to ride and not ride her in the future.  But I have to admit....The first thing we did after that appointment was to go for a ride.

frist ride back Dec 22 2012
First ride back on top!


And we both thought it was great!

Thanks for reading!  If you would like to be added to my mailing list to receive the latest blog posts or to leave a comment please contact me at Jacksonhillhorseygirl@aol.com.

Copyright (c) 2013 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com January 16, 2013

13 comments:

  1. It is amazing how we see things from a different perspective when life is a little out of kilter. I belive its one of those "godwink" moments when we are shown what we NEED to remember.

    I hope you do stick with alloting time to ride.. and time to walk.. and tune in to your heartsong.

    Good to have you back Maggie...

    Hugssss
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. So glad you got to ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm smiling all over after reading this. You are such a WONDERFUL writer....I loved your beautiful descriptions of those observations the two of you shared. And I'm so glad to hear that Autumn is better, and you have the option to ride again. Thank you for the reminder that walking beside our adorable beasties is AT LEAST as special as riding them, and well worth the time. I'm taking the vow to allot the time to walk too! Thank you, Maggie, for always being so inspiring in your relationship with Autumn. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? OMG? You had x-rays and it wasn't even digital? Oh my? lol Okay, yes I'm being a brat and I hope you know what I'm jesting at. lol If not, I'll tell you tomorrow. Seriously though, I love how much you love Autumn and how you are able to put your feelings into real words on paper/computer. Pretty cool. GR

    ReplyDelete
  5. I AM SO HAPPY FOR U AND AUTUMN LUV U AUNT CHRISTINE

    ReplyDelete
  6. 100 gazillion now that is happy! There is a silver lining in your story. Happy for you Mags. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy wrote: So love your blog's

    ReplyDelete
  8. That’s great news, we all were thinking of the situation and praying for the best. LUJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are back on the West Coast and writing agin! I'm sure you had a great holiday back East with your family. Loved your essay, as always! Made me think of two things right off:
    # 1: Taking walks with Grace and Gillian (who are now 4 1/3 and a month away from being 3) in NH. Our cottage is on a dirt road, and we take walks on the road to go down to this little general store/gas station/marina that is full of penny candy, ice cream, beer, sundries, etc. It always takes FOREVER to get there - G & G stop to pick up sticks, special little pebbles, pieces of shiny silica ground up in the road. It is impossible to hurry them - there is always something exciting for them to see, to examine. And you learn that it really is all about the JOURNEY, not the DESTINATION!
    #2: When Lisa was 25, I took her on a 2 week WALKING TOUR along the Coast of Brittany, France, up by the English Channel. We walked with our friends Jim and Beth Branigan (they were at Andrea and Aaron's wedding, maybe you met them). We walked about 15 miles every day, carrying our clothes, etc. in backpacks (not over 20 LBS). We stayed in little inns, above bars, etc. every night. We had TIME and the ability to explore all the little things along the way - tiny flowers, seashells, walking in the surf, and we had TIME for in depth, meaningful conversations. We experienced things that would have been impossible to even see if we had been in a car! Once again, it was really about the JOURNEY, not the DESTINATION.
    I am so glad that Autumn is doing better, that you are able to ride her again, but those precious times spent just being together are just as meaningful in your relationship with your equine BFF!!
    Looking forward to your next post!
    xo Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Forget to tell you when I was in the Clinic today, how much I enjoyed your blog!!

    Keep up the good work.



    Maris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks again for putting into words the feelings I have with my horse!
    Chuck P.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yea – congratulations on Autumn’s progress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back, Margaret. I missed you. ~Cat

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.