Wednesday, January 23, 2013

An Unusual Cure For Phone Trauma

     It was only 1:00 and I was hitting the wall.  I was trying to hang up the phone at work, at the veterinary hospital, when it started ringing again in my hand.  All morning, I was under siege by  the ringing phone firing at me like rapid machine gun fire.  The calls assaulted me with "how much?", "how to?",  "I don't want to spend any money or bring it in what can I do?"  questions.  Statements stabbed into me such as "I can't", "I won't!",  "The animal isn't worth it",  "I need it now",  "I need it yesterday"...  I have no problem handling these types of calls professionally but, on this day, I was by myself and it was just non stop. 
    I took a deep breath before answering in as cheerful at a voice my throbbing head would belch out.   The caller said "I was just calling to get a price for an examination on a donkey."  Okay, so this was starting off simple enough. 
    "What is the exam needed for?"  I asked.
       "Well, I need to get an exam to see if my hermaphrodite miniature donkey is healthy."
     "Oh, wow.  That would be just a standard exam...I think."   The caller went on to explain that our doctor had gone out there about two years ago when it was foaled.  That is when they made the discovery that this was a colt and filly foal all wrapped up into one long eared little body.   The owner's original plan was to sell his little donkey. When it was born a hermaphrodite he didn't feel comfortable selling it to someone, worrying that it would have some kind of medical complications and would die on them. 
    He said that he had some gay friends and they decided that the mini donkey could march in  a LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) parade as their mascot.   They even came up with tee shirts to sell that would have a picture of his donkey on it and would read "I'm proud to have a hermaphroditic ass!"  We were cracking up  making plans for the little donkey to tour the world hee-hawing his/her message of acceptance for the LGBT community and for all the hermaphroditic donkeys out there! 

 
     He didn't book the appointment that day, he just wanted to price it out first and would call back with a date.   Without a headache,  I hung up the phone.  I decided right then and there that when he made his appointment that I was going to join the doctor to meet this future mini donkey he-her hawing advocate.

I'd like to thank my friend Gay, who is also a client at the veterinary office, for the amazing oil painting she did of Autumn.   I shall treasure it forever!  It really has Autumn's sparkle captured in it!  Gay is such a talented painter!

Thank you for reading and for all the great comments that you leave!  They are so encouraging!  If you would like to leave a comment or would like to be added to my mailing list please email me at Jacksonhillhorseygirl@aol.com.

Copyright (c) 2013 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com January 23, 2013

6 comments:

  1. I want a shirt lol
    Love, Katy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way the problem isnt a problem and those folk just want to make life into Sunshine !!

    The painting is stunning !

    Hang in there... soon the New Years Eve ......!!!!!!!!

    Hugsss
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie חַי Sea-Kay
    Yay! I just connected with you as a 'follower' (Bejamin Thomas Rescue Pony) :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog site and your insight to nature and horses. I have to admit I tear up a bit when you write about your girl; I miss my mare very much and relate to your relationship and your frustrations about not having enough time with her and about appreciating the time when you are with her. Thanks for sharing. ….
    CM

    ReplyDelete
  5. FUNNY! I don't have ANY story to add to my usual email.
    ~Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. THAT PHONE CALL MUST HAVE BROOKEN THE SPELL OF PAIN IN THE ASS PHONE CALLS. SO FUNNY THANKS. LOVE THE PAINTING IT LOOKS JUST LIKE AUTUMN. KAREN

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.