Wednesday, November 7, 2012

When A Horse Leads You To Water

     Autumn is pulled to the water the way the moon tugs on the tides.  Whether it be a pond, a river, the ocean, a creek, a trough or water tanks she has to pay her respects.  She will start with a drink, which if it is allowable, will turn into a splash that can sometimes lead into a joyful roll, or even a refreshing swim.
     When we visit the shore, the ocean inevitably lures Autumn into its waves with me towed behind in her wake.  Mesmerized by the swirling sea, she watches the white foam as it babbles around her.  Seafaring nostalgia stirs up salt water memories of my life with these great waters.  I know as the waves break over us that it will carry new memories back out to the sea.
For whatever we lose (like a you or a me),
It's always our self we find in the sea.
~e.e. Cummings

    After five years together, I've noticed that Autumn takes great comfort of having me present when she drinks.  I'm not sure if this has to do with some sort of deep rooted fear of being vulnerable to predators when drinking.  The first time I became aware of it was when she was turned out in pasture during the winter months.  I went out to check on her relying on the light of the moon and the stars to reveal her blaze in its blue glow.  After some hello pets she stopped eating her hay, walked a few steps, stopped and then looked back at me.  I walked up to her and again, she walked a few step and then stopped to make sure I was still following her.  She then proceeded to lead me down the hill into the draw where the pond was set, surrounded by the steep and thickly tangled forest.  She slowed her pace until she was walking with her head next to my shoulder.  A few strides away from the water's edge she stopped in the shelter of my shadow.  I went up to the pond and splashed my foot into the pond.  After seeing that I didn't get my head torn off by a mountain lion, Autumn made her way up to the pond.  She dipped her muzzle into the cool clear water.  The full moon made the bottom of the pond glow clear. The glow took away the surface of the pond and it appeared that Autumn was drinking the moonlight.  Ripples from her drinking sent the only shadows to contrast the water from the light.  We were immersed in the peacefulness and stillness of the water intertwined in the  moon's light.  As Autumn drank in this celestial elixir, other horses from the herd felt safe enough to drink as well. 
No one can see their reflection in running water.
It is only in still water that we can see” -Taoist Proverb
     On countless occasions we have performed this same ritual... me following Autumn to the pond until we get close enough for me, the guinea pig, to continue alone until she was sure I wasn't eaten by any monsters, then she would proceed to have her drink and lastly with the herd seeing that we had survived, they would come and join us for some libations. 
     The cute thing is, Autumn just doesn't do this in the pasture.  She also does it in her stall.  Before I leave for the night, she will walk over to her water bucket, stop and look at me.  I walk over to her and pet her while she has her bed time drink.  I watch her ears flick back and forth with each gulp reminding me of someone having to hand pump water from a well.  When she's had enough she gives me a drippy wet nuzzle and settles back into finishing her hay for the night.
Here's a video clip of Autumn's little pump ear's going.

Thanks for reading!  There is a Jackson Hill Horsey Girl Facebook Page where other readers are getting to know each other and are sharing some of their own great stories.  If you would like to be added to my emailing list or would like to make a comment please contact me at Jacksonhillhorseygirl@aol.com.

Copyright (c) 2012 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com November 7, 2012

12 comments:

  1. Once again you bring me to tears.

    The magic picture you seed in my heart of Autumn drinking the Moon will live with me always.

    So many of us still possess that primal gene that stirs that part of us we never left behind when we crawled from the swamp...our place of safety
    and nurture

    I am so pleased that Autumn is healing...and I feel your heart lifting too.

    Hugssssss
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how she gulps and her ears move! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY POETIC YOU PAINT A BEAUTIFUL PICTURE IN MY MIND. THANKS KAREN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe for a horse they are most vulnerable when their heads are down drinking water. However, that doesn't answer the question of why she doesn't need your reassurance when she eats with her head down. Perhaps, that saying by humans that "people don't like to drink alone," holds true for horse too!
    Love your moon light image.
    Aunt Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks @ those ears wiggle!! Precious :) love, Katy

    ReplyDelete







  6. Laura Childs posted on your timeline
    "Just love your spirituality, and you present it so well in your writings. Thank you. Also, Looking forward to seeing you in December too. love laura"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rosemary wrote: "lovely imagery--especially your description of drinking from the pond."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it!!!
    Elly R.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always a great essay! What you are describing is what I witnessed when we visited with Andrea, Aaron and Vera down in SF. Understandably, Vera did not know me - but the frist time she saw me, she immediately looked at Andrea to see Andrea's reaction to me. After the reassurance on Andrea's face that I was "OK", she gave me a beautiful smile, and never had any hesitation to me holding her, etc. etc. She did the same thing when Aaron first saw me - "Is this stranger ok with Daddy?". I watched ehr do it with Carol and Allen and then also with Danielle. YOU are autumn's parent, and when you are around, she looks to you to make sure what she is doing is safe in your eyes. Very observant!
    Glad to here that Autumn seems to be improving - hope it continues.
    xo Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a great sence of humor and a good way of bringing to light an awareness we may need to develop. I really like that. You do it well without any preachiness at all.
    Uri D.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.