Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Swimming in Shangri-La

Dipping our feet in the river and sunshine.

Following our mountain down to it's beginnings will take you to the river.  During the winter it bloats, becoming irritable with the incessant rains that force it to gush into the raging pacific.  With the arrival of summer the river slows and calmly strolls itself out to sea.  It's waters shallow and the swimming holes warm.  Cindy and I rode the girls on it's banks on a quest to find "the path" that would lead us to the rumored Shangri-La swimming hole to swim the horses.  It took a few rides until we  found it.  It was a small, overgrown bridle path that led up the steep river's bank.  An abandoned dirt road met us at the top of the bank and led us beside the river.  We strolled through a tunnel of redwood trees with the river sparkling at us between their trunks. Eventually, we found a path that led us to a huge sand bar on the river. 

No traffic here.
Paradise!  That's all I can say.  No cars, no radios, no phones, no parking lots, no people...  Just Cindy, Syria, her dog Cassey, Me and Autumn.  There we were, all alone on a cobble rocked river wrapped around by forested mountains and and blue skies.  When we got over the stunning beauty of this place we took the horses to the edge of the watering hole.  Autumn was happy going in up to her armpits but that was it.  I slid off her back and swam in and called for her to come out...


First swim!
...and out she swam.  She blew little bubbles out as she horsey paddled across the swimming hole.  She would swim a lap, get out, come back in, roll in the shallow section, swim out...  She did this a few times and then when she got to the middle she decided to rest... and stopped swimming... and then... she sank.  Time drowned away from me as I watched her slip away from me without a single thing in the world I could do to save my best friend's life.  I can still remember her eyes looking up to me with the glass surface of the water sinking us further and further apart.  I grabbed her halter and pulled.  She began to struggle. Through her struggling she began to kick and then she instantly sprang up to the surface just like that!  She made it back to shore where she began to snort out water and tried to shake the water out of her flopping ears. I apologized for asking her to follow me out there.  I smothered her in hugs and kisses and told her I would never ask her to do that ever again. After a little while she  began to eat grass and that's when I knew she would be okay.
Poor girl!
I thought for sure that this would be the first and last time I'd ever swim with Autumn.  I would never blame her for being terrified of the water for the rest of her life. I was terrified!  As my heart was trying to make it's way back into my chest, Autumn made it perfectly clear as to what to expect in the future...


Autumn getting back in the saddle.

As I floated out in the swimming hole my amazing giant brave baby Autumn came back out in the water! She horsey paddled around me and after a bit she let me swim onto her back.  It's a funny thing to swim on a horse.  You aren't able to sit on their back with gravity holding you in place as it normally does when you ride on the land.  Instead, you sort of float above them.  All I could really do was just hold onto her mane and just sort of follow along with her.  I felt like her little angel floating above her (but an angel still riddled with the guilt of almost being her angel of death louring her to a watery grave a few minutes earlier).  She carried me up the bank and we dried in the sunshine of  paradise until it was time to go back up the mountain.

Thanks for reading!  If you would like to be added to the mailing list please email me at jacksonhillhorseygirl@gmail.com.
If you are having a problem leaving a comment, try leaving it as "Anonymous".  Don't forget to leave your name! 
Copyright (c) 2011 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!!! Amazing story! How thrilling and how scary! It sounds like she figured it out though... don't stop paddling. HAHA! Oh what a thrill. I hope I get to do this with the boyz someday. I'm so excited you got to do this... and pictures too!!! I wanna go there! Way to go Maggie and Autumn!!! Laura Z.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so blessed to be able to escape the mundane realities of life to enjoy the beautiful and wonderful experiences only nature is capable of providing. The water hole being just a few gallops away from the back yard of your home makes the experience more remarkable.

    As much as you love Autumn even thinking for a instant you lost her only makes the bond between the both of you stronger. For you have to believe for that moment she was thinking she was also losing you.

    The photographs are great, even if she was having a bad hair day.

    A link to a movie about a horse at "geraldatwork"
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, and yes once again I'm transported to 40 years ago when my best horsie friend, Ginger and i used to swim at Guadalupe reservoir in the Santa Clara valley! I loved the feeling of her hooves on the ground, and then suddenly it felt like we were airborne as she paddled through the water with me floating off her back and clinging to her neck! Thanks for the memories, Maggie! Perhaps Harley and I will have this adventure some day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just loved this blog, I am learning so much about horses and the bond you and Autumn have. I am so happy everything turned out well, and Autumn still loves the water. Love Laura C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Autumn actual looks small all wet if that is possible! There is a lot of love and trust between the two of you and I am happy it all worked out. You remind of how much I enjoy being in nature without any mechanical noise. Thanks for the escape. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love this story! Have you been back to that swimming spot since, Mags? Autumn was a very brave girl! It must have been so scary for you to see her head go underwater.
    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margaret,
    Every blog gets better and better. You have a gift for expression, imagery, and moving story telling. I loved this story and knowing and loving both you and Autumn I can well imagine your terror. The outcome was heart rending and must have scared you half to death. What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
    Best, Chris Beere

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.