Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Lions and Tigers and a What?

     It was quiet as I rode Autumn out to the trails in the forest. 
Autumn's ears leading us into the forest.
The light had about another hour awake before it settled into darkness.  Autumn walked lazily in the peace of the evening until she heard a sound that froze her in place.  She raised her neck and pointed her ears into the trees.  It took me a few seconds before I heard it.  It started as a faint hum that growled into a squeal.  Then coming tearing out of the forest was a golf cart. 
This is not what came out of the woods.
The driver hit the gas or battery pedal or whatever makes that thing go as he headed towards us.  He had a shotgun or rifle or whatever you call a long gun hanging on his gun hook behind him and a small fire arm was strapped to his side.  He yelled out "I can't lose my momentum!"   I just smiled and waved.  Autumn relaxed and we continued our ride without any other interruptions.
    It didn't dawn on me that this was strange until I was talking to a friend about my ride.  I guess it's not normal for 99.999999% of horseback riders, or anyone for that matter, to encounter a speeding golf cart, flying out of the woods, at night with an armed driver.  For me it wasn't real shocking.  The driver was the ranch owner's brother.  He is a little classier then the rest of us and cruises around in a golf cart instead of a four wheeler.
Who needs a stinking four wheeler when you've got this puppy?
In the back of the woods there is a shooting range which is a fun spot to literally blow off some steam.  When he passed me, he was flooring it because after killing some time at the range he had three minutes to make it home to relieve the staff taking care of his infirmed mother.  So like I said, totally normal. 

Thanks for reading!  If you would like to contact me or get added to my mailing list please email me at Jacksonhillhorseygirl@aol.com.

Copyright (c) 2014 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com August 20, 2014




4 comments:

  1. This made me laugh.... abiut 15 miles from where I live ... there is a HUGE herd of Golfies... and I mean HUGE.

    The company mends/recons/has new ones.....

    Abs Golf Cars Sales & Service(Noble Oklahoma) (no website would you believe!!)

    I rather fancy one for the backwoods myself !!!!!

    Hugsssssssssssss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary Golf Cart!!! Maybe Autumn thought it was a motorized horse :)
    Margaret, what would you think about opening up a new blog and write a story that you would tell over time in a blog. Similar to Charles Dickens stories where readers had to stay tuned until next weeks news paper came out, perhaps you could submit to project to your local news paper as well as blogging story. ??????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy wrote: "Cute story Margaret!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny I quess you never know what is coming out of woods. sounds like Autumn handle it well. Karen

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.