Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Blowing Off The Blog

   Wednesday night is write night.  On write night, the ranch owner feeds the horses and Autumn sleeps under the stars in the pasture.  After work, I head directly to Starbucks to force on a second wind with a mega mocha.  Then I set up shop there with my laptop as I misspell my way through a blog until closing time.  Last week, I blew the whole routine off.  Instead of writing a blog I decided to make one. The Wolf Moon was rising full in a clear winter sky on that write night.  The January moon acquired its name of the Wolf due to wolf packs hungrily howling outside Indian villages in the cold and deep snows of midwinter.   
     The sun had exhausted itself from the sky as I saddled Autumn and led her into the woods. 


The sun's twilight, opposite the dawning moon. 
(Autumn's ear is poking into the scene on the right)

  We arrived at the first clearing just in time to watch the peach Wolf stalking Orion into the sky. 
The Wolf Moon to the left of Autumn's silhouetted ear. 
A tiny Jupiter is to the left of the moon.
    The moon rose high enough to spill its light over the trees onto the forest trails on the east side of the mountain.  Lilly and Shep, the ranch dogs, shepherded us into the darkness.  Lilly ran ahead to search out our path while Shep stayed close beside Autumn.  Under the shroud of darkness my balance found its true center in the saddle.  My hearing tuned itself through the pitch of the east wind to eavesdrop on  the finer whispers in the forest.  My eyes adjusted to the shades and shadows, giving the darkness its own colors.  Moonlight slipped between the trees.  Autumn and I flickered in and out of the silver scenes.  Left behind were the frames of our silent movie in her quiet foot falls.   
     When we reached the forest meadow, the sky was turning the pages of universe's epic story written in stars. The Gemini twins cradled Jupiter in their arms.  Taurus the bull had his fiery red eye, Aldebaran, on Orion, the sky's matador.  Auriga, the charioteer, who does not actually own a chariot, was up there hugging his two baby goats.  Pegasus, left us to gallop to the west as Autumn and I continued on to the east.
     We left the mythologies in the meadow as we slipped back into the eclipse of the firs.  The moon struggled to reach us in the heart of woods.  I gave Autumn her reins and let the rhythm of her strides calm my heartbeat.  I held a piece of her mane as if it were her hand as she carried us home.   

Thanks for reading!  If you would like to be added to my mailing list or would like to get in touch with me you can email me at Jacksonhillhorseygirl@aol.com.

Copyright (c) 2014 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com January 22, 2014

18 comments:

  1. A perfect bedtime story, thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poetry came out of that night ride..beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful prose, Mags! What a treat to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its also the Moon after Yule or the Old / Quiet / Ice Moon and some will say the Wolf Moon is the February Full Moon.

    Selene is my goddess. This was a beautiful story. I walked every step with you. As an amateur astronomer... the stars are the most precious of jewels to me

    Thankyou Maggie

    Hugssss

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What an incredible description of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew. I would have been scared to ride at night in mountain lion country, which is why I've never experienced what you did. Cat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the image Margaret. I loved the end when you held onto Autumns mane as if it were her hand. Just you and Autumn and the wolf moon. love aunt k

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know the place. Thanks for skipping writing night!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi just read about you and Autumn riding in the mystery of the stars was
    interesting I enjoyed It.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. Watching the stars on a clear night is THE BEST! One of my favorite West Coast star memories is when I took Andrea for a weekend trip to the Wild Horse Sanctuary (with Carol and Allen and Danielle Teitelman) out in Shingleton, CA for her 25th birthday. Have you ever been there? A super place! We sat out at night in the pitch dark, with wild horses milling around, just watching the stars. Ask Andrea to share her photos with you sometime - we had a great time! I had only ridden twice in my life - I got the award for the "most improved" rider. Andrea can share some hilarious memories from that weekend!

    Favorite East Coast star memories are ALL up in New Hampshire!

    Keep up the good writing! xo Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dawn wrote: "Loved it! True Center. I close my eyes for that."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Natalie Herman wrote:

    beautitful...in writing and in the adventure. Felt like I was there...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Babs N. wrote: Great story

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful description Love the story. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Katy wrote: "Beautifully written Margaret!!! Love the photos! Totally worth blowing off write night:-)"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rosemary wrote: "That is so lovely. Thank you."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tricia Marie wrote:

    I'm most impressed by this one Margaret! Really quite lovely! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jon B. wrote: WOW!

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.