Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Letting Go

     A mini van sped into the veterinary hospital's parking lot.  A woman jumped out, opened up the back hatch to reveal a little goat all curled up in a blanket.  She said that the goat looked a little funny this morning but when she came home on her lunch break he was laying down and grinding his teeth.  I pet the little guy and I could immediately tell that this was one loved and well cared for goat.  His coat was groomed silky and clean.  His hooves were perfectly manicured and even his little collar was immaculate.  His owner explained that this was her daughter's beloved goat and she was willing to do whatever was needed for him. 
    I got a stall ready for him and made a little nest of straw for him to snuggle up in. When the doctor returned from a farm appointment he immediately examined the goat and began treatment.  Unfortunately, the goat wasn't making any progress.  The prognosis was not good.  The doctor called the clients to discuss the little goat's situation.  Shortly after, the whole family came to see their little friend who's eyes brightened when he saw them.  The barn filled with tears and the whole office could feel the heartache of the little girl as she cradled her goat.  It was decided that we would watch him over night to see if there was any progress in the morning.
      The next morning I unlocked the doors with hope that he would be scooting around.  I peaked over the stall and he was nestled in the straw.  His breathing was rapid. His eyes were exhausted and his sparkle had dimmed.  I gave him a little pet as my heart began to feel heavy.  The doctor rechecked him and he went into the office to call the family.  They did not want him to suffer and asked us to give him peace. 
     I knelt down and hugged the little goat into me.  I told him that his family loved him very much. The doctor gave him his rest and he wilted in my arms.  The phone began to ring and I got so mad at it.  I didn't want to let go of the little body still warm in my arms.  I didn't want to lay him on the hay and leave him to carry on with my office work but, I had to let him go. 

Thanks for reading.  Please feel free to send this on to your friends. If you would like to contact me or be added to my mailing list, please email Jacksonhillhorseygirl@aol.com.

Copyright (c) 2013 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com October 16, 2013

11 comments:

  1. Dearest Maggie....

    The greatest gift we have it to give another Peace.

    Sometimes it is in a forgiving word or gesture.... sometimes just a smile or a tacit nod... but sometimes.. its THE greatest of actions.. to Let Go.

    This was a so loved spirit.. and for that... my heart goes out to his family.

    But.. my heart also enfoldes you with love...

    Thankyou for holding this Little One ..

    Thankyou for letting him know by word and deed that he was Loved.

    Most of all...

    Thankyou for letting him Go...

    Sail on Fair Winds and Calm Seas Little Goat...

    You were... and ARE much loved..

    and now

    The Adventure Begins.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comments are always so heartfelt and honest. Thanks for always taking the time to share your thoughts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosemary wrote: "I hope that the joy you find in your job balances out the the sadness and pain."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been there, many times. A wise vet once told me yrs ago, the day you don't cry, is the day you should get out of the business. Godspeed little one...

    ReplyDelete


  5. Kat wrote: "You have such a big heart Margaret. These animals are so lucky to have you to help them. What a nice story of love. RIP lil goat. What a life well lived having been loved so much."

    ReplyDelete
  6. LouAnna wrote: "Thanks for your compassion and for being open hearted and sharing this journey with us."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura wrote: "Oh Mags... I'm so sorry. It brought me to tears too. Recently my little nephew was up for a visit, and he DEEPLY BONDED with the neighbor's little goat. It was amazing how quickly the two of them connected, and of course, it caused great heartache for his little heart to say goodbye. It just made me realize how special goats are. I'm so glad you were able to be there for that poor little goat. And next time... just let the phone RING! If no one else can get it, that is what answering machines are for. Thanks for being so soft-hearted. The clinic is SO BLESSED to have you! <3"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sonia H wrote:
    :'( I remember when my goat was sick she passed away at the vet's office while we were there I was only 9 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful writing, as always. For anyone who is "owned" by a beloved pet, we know that we will outlive them. The ability to quietly and gently let them go is a gift we can give them, which unfortunately for our cherished human loved ones we are mostly denied. We have lost many wonderful kitties over the past 42 years and cried many, many tears at our vet's office. It is NEVER an easy thing to do, but when they were old, we knew that they had lived good, happy lives - the tragedy of losing our 4 year old Noah to FIP haunts us still.
    xo Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor little goat, I'm so glad he had you by his side.
    love you aunt k

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.