Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A Whale's Whisper

     When I lived in New York I pretty much lived in the Atlantic Ocean.  I surfed everyday there were waves and some days when there really weren't waves.  One would assume that moving to the surf state, California, that I would have grown some gills by now.  It's been just the opposite.  I surf only a few times a year.  Why?  Big and powerful waves, great white sharks and the biggest kill joy of all...two jobs.  If the weekend comes and the waves aren't under head high and clean I prefer to ride Autumn on the beach instead. 
     This past weekend my husband drove me up to my favorite surf spot in Crescent City.  The waves were waist high, clean and the best part of all...we had them all to ourselves. 
Me enjoying one of my favorite parts of surfing...the exact moment when you catch the wave.
 
   As I sat waiting for a wave, floating in between the sky and the sea a past memory washed over me.  About two years ago, I was surfing in this same spot on a gray day.  I was the last one of our group left in the water as I waited for one last wave to carry me to shore. 
 
     As I sat on my board, waiting for a wave, floating in between the sky and the sea something caught my eye rising up from the surface of the water.  Fifteen feet away, a gray whale gently surfaced and exhaled.  The whale's spray fell like raindrops into the Pacific.  I was mesmerized as I heard the whale whisper as it took a breath before slipping into the dark blue below.  My friend would shortly return, incandescent and shining beside me.  I sat in delight, enveloped by the mountains, sea and sky as this whale shared with me the whisper of his song.  With the final note sung he softly disappeared beneath the glass surface of the sea.  Even though some years have passed, in my heart the gray whale still whispers his song to me. 

 Here's a little video of me surfing this past weekend.  Ignore me surfing and check out the beautiful and wild coast line of Crescent City. 
 
 Thanks for reading!  If you would like to leave a comment or would like to be added to my mailing list please contact me at Jacksonhillhorseygirl@aol.com.  I also have a Jackson Hill Horsey Girl Facebook Page you can join to share your own stories, photos, talents, business things...

Copyright (c) 2013 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com


 

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture you paint once again. What a priceless gift the whale gave you.

    I miss the sea so badly it hurts... I could feel the spray and taste the salt with your words.

    Thankyou once again Maggie.

    Love and Hugsss

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You for putting one of my most memorable days of surfing into words in a way that I could never attempt. Two of the many things that you are absolutely incredible at, surfing and writing. I'll never forget watching you from the beach sitting next to that massive creature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow beautiful story Margaret! Glad you had a great day! Love the pictures!! I remember when you saw the whale:) love, Katy
    Ps. I like what Casey commented...very sweet:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You surf really well, i love the story of the whale, very magical. Nature at its prime!!! Love laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, My God, I never new you met a whale in the sea. How incredible. I could almost feel his breath and raindrops through your eloquent account of your day in the Pacific.

    Casey, thanks for sharing your loving thoughts about your beautiful wife.
    love aunt kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful moment and to relive it again. Great decription I can always feel your love of nature through your writings. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne Caplan wrote:
    What an amazing story! You are gifted at being able to make others feel like they are there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kat wrote: "That's so cool! Enjoyed reading!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Margaret,
    I loved the gray whale story you posted to your blog.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  10. That’s beautiful… just like you. I especially loved watching the clip of you surfing. The sea is so powerful and majestic, I wish it would transfer even a little of its strength into making you 100% again. My heart aches for your health challenges to go away. Feel better. Love, Uncle Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved it, as usual! In fact, I sent your blog link off to a young man who lives in France. He lived with us for a tumultuous year when he was 18 - now he is married and 29! He is a surfer and he and his wife live near the beach in France. He just wrote me back, thanking me for the blog link and saying that he always feels so peaceful on his surfboard, even if he has NEVER seen a whale!
    xo Linda

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.