Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Autumn the Philanthropist


This past Saturday, Autumn and I participated in the HERO Ride For Life American Cancer Society Fundraiser Ride...So this means I'll finally stop bugging you guys for donations...well...at least until next year.  Your donations helped Autumn and I raise $1,400.00!  We were the second highest fundraisers for the whole event!  We owe you a HUGE THANKS for your generosity.  Our team, The Hill Fillies, was the second highest earning team at the event raising $3,776.00!!! Not only were be bringing home the bacon but our team also earned first place for being the best dressed at the event. 
Our team...The Hill Fillies...
(From left to right)
Shannon on Goldie, Cindy on Syria (Autumn's BFFH), Me on Autumn, Diane on Poncho, Mary on Willow, Christine on Ginger, Jennifer on Ha'ni.
Not pictured; Marcelle on Gypsy, Emily on Thunder, Nancy the Mule gal, Nancy M. on Mya & Bill Jackson because he's taking the picture.

I had Autumn's adornments picked out weeks ahead of time and had at three dress rehearsals to make sure everything was just right for the event.  On the morning of the ride, it took me over an hour to glam her up.  I braided bunches of powder pink silk roses into her mane with satin pink ribbon.  Her bridle and saddle were decorated in tasseled  ribbons that fluttered in the wind during our ride.  She even had sparkling pink crystal flower bling stickers to decorate her ba dunk-a dunk.   To sum up Autumn's whole appearance our little six year old friend Veda, who is a wonderful  little horse girl, said it best.  She told  Autumn that she looked just like a princess horse.  Autumn loved the compliment and gave Veda a little nuzzle for her nice compliment. 

Autumn proudly wore her saddle pad decorated with all the names of everyone who sponsored our ride.  We had special ribbons to honor the memories of my Grandpa Diemer, Casey's Aunt Debbie and my great friend Skaidra's mother, Christine Scholey that cancer took from us too soon.  We carried ribbons to honor those who kicked or are kicking cancer's butt right now such as my wonderful Aunt Kathleen, my great friend Anne who helped me get Autumn, my spunky Grandma Ahlers and for my good friends Linda & Gordon's cousin Tricia W. F. 

Autumn carried all of us with her on that ride that day and she did a great job to boot.  This was her first major event away from the ranch with lots of unfamiliar horses. I was nervous that this big event coupled with her only being 4 years old might be a bit overwhelming for her but she was amazing.  She walked all day long, never fussing once, never wanting to stop...well except to grab a little grass. 
Not only was Autumn walking for a great cause she was also helping me through one of the toughest days I've had since I moved away from my family in NY.  My little sister, who moved out here last July, left the morning of the ride to go back to NY.  My eyes are burning and welling up right now in Starbucks where I'm writing.  Katy has sat across from me while I have written every one of my blogs up until tonight.  Oh crap, here they go... they're streaming down my face....  I hate not having her here. It's so hard to be without her...  
Okay, deep breath. Sorry about that.  I'm back.
So, sporadically throughout the day Autumn had little tear showers sprinkling on to her mane along with squeaks, sobs and snuffles coming from me on her back.  She carried me along just taking care of me, giving me her big shoulders to cry on.  She took great care of me that day and so did all my girlfriends and my great husband Casey.
I owe some special Thank you's to all my sponsors, to all my friends and to all my family!
Casey...thanks for putting up with all my craft crap everywhere, Katy & Kevin Boops...thanks for doing all the dress rehearsals with Autumn & going to fabric store hell it meant a lot to me, Momma-lou Diemer...thanks for getting all those donations from all your friends for me, Dad Diemer & Rachel & Kieran pants-the cutest-baby brother-ever, Uncle Jeff & Aunt Kathleen Goldstein, Grandma & Grandpa Ahlers, Justin & Sandy Goldstein, Mom Stacy, Meghan & Mike & Patti D'Orizo, Uncle Barry & Aunt Joanne & Decaln & Conor Diemer, Anne & Maggie Caplan, Karen & Anastasia Keller at Scare Crow Farms, Sue & Tommy Giannoni, Grandpa Robert Stacy, Aunt Karlene & Dan Comiskey, James & Skiadra & Digby Bruce, Dawn Friend & Nick & Taz, Lou Anna Phillips & Sweet Pea & Harley,  Joe Losritto, Gerry, Elizabeth "the cookie princess" Thompson & Carmen, Adam Jorgensen Forge & Farrier & Family, Joan & Molly Crandell, Jannine Richey & Family, The Lindstrom Family, Chrisine "Miss Burn's" Richey & Steve the Philosopher, Paul & Susan "the muffin fairy"& Dresden & Dutch & Kayak Silva, Gregory Foray, Hilda Duke, Anna & Joe Grippi, Mary Ann &Robert Costanzo, Steve Foray, Joan & the gals at the Bayport Flower House, Sandy from Allstate, John Forge, Linda & Gordon Taylor, Dr. Branch & Dr. Carlisle from North Coast Veterinary Hospital, Marci & Mike Barnes, Andrea and Dirty Bird Broughton, Peter & Shawn & Eric & Melanie Jackson,  Bill "The Hill Fillies groom sent from heaven" & Garrot & Dane & Jillian Jackson, all the donors who filled my jar at the vet office, Cindy & Chris at Cindy With the Herd Farms...thanks for the ride to the ride!, Syria for being Autumn's main support, Diane & Randy & Poncho & Mckenzie Baxter, Nancy Powers & Shannon St Clair, Jennifer & Ha'ni, Marcelle & Gypsy, Emily & Thunder, Mary & Willow, Christine & Ginger, Nancy & Mya...
A big thanks to everyone that hosted the HERO event!  You all did a great job! The whole event that day earned $20,135.00!!! Not bad! Thank you Diana and Holly LaCount!
...and the biggest thank you of all goes to Autumn!  I love you Autumn!  You are the greatest!

If you would like to be put on the email list to receive the latest blog please email me at Jacksonhillhorseygirl@gmail.com
Thanks for reading!
Copyright (c) 2011 Jacksonhillhorseygirl.com

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I know anyone who hasn't lost someone special to the terrible, evil disease cancer. For me it was my mom about 30 years ago. Thank you for making the effort and taking the time to help in the fight. As much as you are already missing Katy, your mom is counting the days and minutes until she can embrace her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Maggie and Autumn and the rest of the Hill Fillies! You've made a huge contribution- not just in $ but in time, determination and spirit. It's a wonderful accomplishment. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you never do anything half-donkey that's for sure. It definitely paid off. Good job, I know everyone appreciated it. Especially Autumn she loves the attention almost as much as she loves you. The saddle pad ribbons were very thoughtful, as well. Wish I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn definitely look like a princess. I know it took a lot of time and effort and I am glad you had Katy to help. What ever you set your mind to you always achieve and shine.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Jackson Hill Horsey Girl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.